Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: For other Cortex users!

Default For other Cortex users!

Recently just looked at my harddrive that i use with my cortex 1000 and noticed there are a load of .idx files ?

example - Tne Beatles - A Hard Days Night.mp3 - it may have Tne Beatles - A Hard Days Night.mp3.idx (this is a sample only!)

anyone got any ideas what they are please ?
    new website domain name... http://www.dejavuroadshow.tk/

We've had this explained before, but I can't remember exactly, and neither can I find it in a search. A quick Google says it's an index file, used to aid searching. I think ( and I could be wrong ) that VBR files need them to function properly. Amazon downloads will generate them I believe. I've del;eted them mny times, but as soon as you play the track or index the drive, I think they're re-created.

I hope one of the computer geniuses comes along and gives chapter and verse on it. Only thing I can say with complete confidence is that they're completely harmless, and often beneficial.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Cheers Excalibur, thought I had got rid of all the VBR files last year,will have another look. and see if they come back

just interested thats all

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    I think ( and I could be wrong ) that VBR files need them to function properly.
    If they only get created for VBR files, it could be so it can keep track of where in the file a particular timestamp is. A particular point in a Fixed bitrate file can be calculated quite easily but with variable but rate the one minute point (for example) in a track would be at a different offset from the start of the file dependent on the musical content of the track.

Quote Originally Posted by katman View Post
    If they only get created for VBR files, it could be so it can keep track of where in the file a particular timestamp is. A particular point in a Fixed bitrate file can be calculated quite easily but with variable but rate the one minute point (for example) in a track would be at a different offset from the start of the file dependent on the musical content of the track.
    After a brief look through the manual it seems to indicate that they are the cue point files for previously saved cues for a song.
    When the world ends , ill probably have to clean up the mess.

Quote Originally Posted by spin mobile disco View Post
    After a brief look through the manual it seems to indicate that they are the cue point files for previously saved cues for a song.
    Not sure I agree with that. I famously work with NTFS drives, and I can't save cue points on them with a Cortex.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Me neither as i didnt cue up the files that have this file extention