Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Advice on Relocating to Bournemouth area.

I don't actually know Alton itself very well as I've almost always driven straight past on the A31. I had friends who lived there for a few years but apart from visiting them, a Thai restaurant and Sainsburys I don't think I've ever been I really can't remember ever going anywhere else. I think it's a fairly quiet little town, not known for it's riotous punk rock festivals. Pleasant enough place to live and completely surrounded by picturesque rolling farmland and it's got good connections with the A31 running straight past, the wiggly road up to Basingstoke is motorbike heaven, and it's the end of the railway line from London with the old line heading off in the other direction now being a preserved steam railway, the Watercress Line.

Generally a very affluent area, the surrounding villages are generally still very nice small villages that haven't had much in the way of new development and I've certainly done quite a few private events in marquees in the area at houses that must be worth upwards of £1.5 million. No idea what the Alton schools are like but I believe Perins in Alresford (pronounced Allsford - uselful to know around here!) has a good reputation.

And you can take up gliding as the country's biggest gliding club is just up the road at Lasham so you often see gliders in the sky in the area! Alton's just outside the South Downs National Park, although the most picturesque parts of the park are still a fair way away and although there's nothing like some of the scenery in Scotland it's generally a very pretty area around the town. Chawton and Selbourne are the local tourist hotspots. And it's still can't be much more than an hour from Bournemouth (traffic dependent!) if you want to head down there.

Just thought - it might be worth you contacting Shakermaker on here as I think he's a Basingstoke man and may know a little more.

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stormproductions View Post
    I don't actually know Alton itself very well as I've almost always driven straight past on the A31. I had friends who lived there for a few years but apart from visiting them, a Thai restaurant and Sainsburys I don't think I've ever been I really can't remember ever going anywhere else. I think it's a fairly quiet little town, not known for it's riotous punk rock festivals. Pleasant enough place to live and completely surrounded by picturesque rolling farmland and it's got good connections with the A31 running straight past, the wiggly road up to Basingstoke is motorbike heaven, and it's the end of the railway line from London with the old line heading off in the other direction now being a preserved steam railway, the Watercress Line.

Generally a very affluent area, the surrounding villages are generally still very nice small villages that haven't had much in the way of new development and I've certainly done quite a few private events in marquees in the area at houses that must be worth upwards of £1.5 million. No idea what the Alton schools are like but I believe Perins in Alresford (pronounced Allsford - uselful to know around here!) has a good reputation.

And you can take up gliding as the country's biggest gliding club is just up the road at Lasham so you often see gliders in the sky in the area! Alton's just outside the South Downs National Park, although the most picturesque parts of the park are still a fair way away and although there's nothing like some of the scenery in Scotland it's generally a very pretty area around the town. Chawton and Selbourne are the local tourist hotspots. And it's still can't be much more than an hour from Bournemouth (traffic dependent!) if you want to head down there.

Just thought - it might be worth you contacting Shakermaker on here as I think he's a Basingstoke man and may know a little more.
    Thanks. You have painted a lovely picture of the place.
    All the best
    Lee Live: Wedding DJ
    http://www.djLeeLive.com/

that's even closer to me..................12 miles
    Not much to add , its a lovely place , easy access to the A31 , good size Sainburys , and as been echoed above , some lovely villages all within 10 miles.
    Gary would be a useful contact , I drive through Alton often on my way to basingstoke .

Cheers

Daryll
    darylldj.co.uk , serving hampshire , Surrey and sussex

have to agree with the above, nice place.. good restaurants plenty of roads leading everywhere so to speak a31 to Guildford then a3 or down to the m3 for Winchester and the south coast, quite a main hub in that respect. traffic wise normal rush hour hassles mainly at the small railway bridge a31 end. parking is quite good although the wardens can be a bit hot. nice countryside, selbourne is quite picturesque with a nice deli there. its good for its walks aswell as main shopping center in Basingstoke should you need.

Default Horndean, Waterlooville

It looks like my misses is about to be offered a job in Alton....

but gosh it is so expensive in Hampshire....

Can't find a house in Alton that is the same size as where we are now without doubling the price - £500k is just too dear.

Properties in Horndean, Waterlooville have dropped by 10% in the last five years.

Seen a nice house for £400k there.

Anyone on here know of the area and can advise if it is suitable?

Many thanks

Alton is about 10 miles down the road from me. It's nice enough and the surrounding areas are ok too. There isn't a lot for the teens and 20 / 30 something's so I hear but if that is the case then it hasn't changed much. It definitely is expensive around in this area. I have a 2 bedroom ground floor flat that has gone up £25,100 in value in the past 2 years. I was only in the bank on Monday getting a new mortgage rate and decided to see what I could get if I wanted to get a new place or invest etc and there isn't really a lot I could get but mind you, we want a nice little bungalow and the missus wants a project to work on. We don't have kids....well, we can't have kids so we're never ever going to want a big house.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Sorry, I've come back to add some more as I didn't read the posts above where the others said I'd be your man for information....
    Well, there isn't much more I can add to what has been said already by myself and the others (and they put it much better than I could).
    Alton is one of those places you kind of pass through on the way to somewhere else unless you have a booking in Alton which, to be honest isn't that often.

And that 'wiggly' road that has been mentioned which is 'motorbike heaven' and runs from Basingstoke past Lasham and through to Alton..... well, to put it bluntly, it's a bloody death trap!
    I've known a number of people who have been killed on that road (sorry to get all morbid!). No exaggeration but I'd say 4 or 5 times a week I hear ambulances drive past my house on their way to that road. It's more when it's wet or in the winter. I've also seen a couple of accidents myself there and they haven't been nice at all.
    Last edited by Shakermaker Promotions; 13-08-2015 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by leelive View Post

Properties in Horndean, Waterlooville have dropped by 10% in the last five years.

Many thanks
    Waterlooville could really do with another DJ - not.
    About 5-6 members of the HDA alone are from Waterlooville. it has the most (decent) DJ's of any other areas I know.
    You will just have to face the fact that everyone wants to live in in the south - and it will cost you.
    Thats why we are all charging £600+ for an evening and £1,000+ for all day.
    Its not the best time to buy. Have you looked at renovating or self build??

The roads round Winch are brilliant - straight Roman ones worth lovely scenery.
    Last edited by yourdj; 13-08-2015 at 02:45 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Default End of the road

Thank you for your help with this.

Unfortunately the company can't offer any more money than my wife currently earns so we aren't going.

Just as well.... 'cause I couldn't find a decent house for less than double the price of the one we are in....

Quite sad.... not going to get to live in a sunny area unless I win the lotto.

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by leelive View Post
    Thank you for your help with this.

Unfortunately the company can't offer any more money than my wife currently earns so we aren't going.

Just as well.... 'cause I couldn't find a decent house for less than double the price of the one we are in....

Quite sad.... not going to get to live in a sunny area unless I win the lotto.

Lee

Welcome to our life!!!