Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advice on Relocating to Bournemouth area.

Default Prices

Gosh you are all right. The prices are incredible. Was looking last night. There are some very small houses for a lot of money.
    Will look at Salisbury and Soton. Thanks for those suggestions.
    I really would like the Poole and Dorset area but my wife hasn't yet seen a good Vet referral practice in that area. (you know the places that do the hip replacements and all the complicated operations)

Mind, I am no rush.... got to sell all my junk and clutter - that is going to take 2 years!
    Lee Live: Wedding DJ
    http://www.djLeeLive.com/

Quote Originally Posted by leelive View Post
    Gosh you are all right. The prices are incredible. Was looking last night. There are some very small houses for a lot of money.
    Will look at Salisbury and Soton. Thanks for those suggestions.
    I really would like the Poole and Dorset area but my wife hasn't yet seen a good Vet referral practice in that area. (you know the places that do the hip replacements and all the complicated operations)

Mind, I am no rush.... got to sell all my junk and clutter - that is going to take 2 years!
    Do a search in Brockenhurst. You can get a 2 bed bungalow for less than £400k LOL.
    I am looking for a development on a farm yard or something as the planning will be easier.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...d=REGION%5E224
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

I know hursley very well, have a major client there we do work for .. (ibm) nice place, murder to move in the morning though, obviously everyone coming to and from there.
    I live in gosport (fareham), just down the road from Southampton if your thinking of travelling the m27 is horrific in the mornings, worse than the m25 somedays, and the bottom end of the m3 is just as bad. I live on these motorways, its not too bad down the south coast house prices vary so damn much though, every major city has the same traffic issues the same with schools, here we have a really good school academically BUT if your children need any form of help your stuffed, the help goes to the ones who will keep them in the league tables. eastleigh is really close to hursley and its not that bad a place that I know off and there is also a dj shop close by lol .
    agree with Salisbury though, nice well catered and outskirts not too bad either, parking is a real pain in the rear though. I service a lot of machinery down here so the parking bit and traffic I can help you with easily enough.

Quote Originally Posted by funktions View Post
    I know hursley very well, have a major client there we do work for .. (ibm) nice place, murder to move in the morning though, obviously everyone coming to and from there.
    I live in gosport (fareham), just down the road from Southampton if your thinking of travelling the m27 is horrific in the mornings, worse than the m25 somedays, and the bottom end of the m3 is just as bad. I live on these motorways, its not too bad down the south coast house prices vary so damn much though, every major city has the same traffic issues the same with schools, here we have a really good school academically BUT if your children need any form of help your stuffed, the help goes to the ones who will keep them in the league tables. eastleigh is really close to hursley and its not that bad a place that I know off and there is also a dj shop close by lol .
    agree with Salisbury though, nice well catered and outskirts not too bad either, parking is a real pain in the rear though. I service a lot of machinery down here so the parking bit and traffic I can help you with easily enough.
    The Romsey road is OK - links you straight to Salisbury area. I would look north of Winch.
    I went to college at Sparsholt, just down the road so had to do the Soton - Hursley commute for 2 years.

Did a gig in the IBM social club too - it was the one function in years where no one danced, Proper boring crowd!!

Lee, has your wife actually been offered a job in Hursley or just found a suitable company that she fancies working for? So are you looking for somewhere that's sensibly commutable to Hursley, or still kind of anywhere within 30 miles of Bournemouth?

And looking back you mentioned in 2013 about coming to visit the area - did you ever do that?

What are your preferences? You mentioned somewhere about a modern area, does that mean that you want to live in the middle of a town, in a big new development that's stuck on what used to be open countryside and has no sense of community (I'm thinking of Andover which used to be a small market town but has expanded massively over the last 10 years) or what? There are large urban areas where you're only a few minutes from Homebasei if that's what you choose to do with your Sundays, but also every village seems to have new developments cropping up that all look identical but mean that that same 5 minutes get you into open countryside if that's your Sunday preference!

Convenient commuter/school/Homebase land is Chandlers Ford. Unexciting as anything but very popular. Looks like £365k gets you a 4 bed with garage and garden http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-52386197.html

Edit to add: Yep, I did 1 or 2 gigs in the IBM social club many years ago too!
    Last edited by stormproductions; 18-07-2015 at 12:09 PM.

Default Grass is greener?

Quote Originally Posted by stormproductions View Post
    Lee, has your wife actually been offered a job in Hursley or just found a suitable company that she fancies working for? So are you looking for somewhere that's sensibly commutable to Hursley, or still kind of anywhere within 30 miles of Bournemouth?

And looking back you mentioned in 2013 about coming to visit the area - did you ever do that?

What are your preferences? You mentioned somewhere about a modern area, does that mean that you want to live in the middle of a town, in a big new development that's stuck on what used to be open countryside and has no sense of community (I'm thinking of Andover which used to be a small market town but has expanded massively over the last 10 years) or what? There are large urban areas where you're only a few minutes from Homebasei if that's what you choose to do with your Sundays, but also every village seems to have new developments cropping up that all look identical but mean that that same 5 minutes get you into open countryside if that's your Sunday preference!

Convenient commuter/school/Homebase land is Chandlers Ford. Unexciting as anything but very popular. Looks like £365k gets you a 4 bed with garage and garden http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-52386197.html
    She hasn't been offered a job... she was reluctant to move... but has now been persuaded. She has found a suitable company to approach. She is one of the top veterinary surgical nurses in the country and would need to work in a vet referral centre...(the places where they do hip-replacements and all the other complicated operations) She know a lot of the folk at the practice in Hursley as I think she trained many of them. She is looking for another practice further west... and I am looking for houses in all of the areas mentioned in this thread. ..

So, no haven't visited yet. Will do next year.

We are really lucky were we currently live. Large 4 bedroom house with garage, large south facing garden, cul-de-sac with green for the kids to play in, countryside on doorstep and also large retail shops... I think there will be some compromise downsouth.

Lee

Ah ok, so we're not yet tied into hunting in a particular area... in general the further west you go the cheaper it'll become as you head away from London, but also the closer to the coast the more the prices rise. And the less I can help. There are also large swathes of "Retirementland" where people trundle around in their Nissan Micras and generally nothing happens...

Look towards Dorset wilshire in that case. Stay away from the port towns would be my personal advice. If you want urban near. Country then Salisbury area would be my choice. The further west you go the cheaper it gets unless you hit larger cities like Bristol.

I would imagine there to be lots of wealthy pet owners nearer the Cotswolds.

That price sounds about right for Bournemouth in the alright areas, you'd get all of that for £280k if you looked in the ex-council style areas.
    Don't know a lot about winchester but it does seem a bit more upmarket.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Default Alton

My wife has done it! She has applied for a job in Hampshire.

What is Alton like? Does it have nice schools and houses? Or are there better areas near it?

Many thanks in-advance. All the advice you can offer here will really help.

Lee