Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: fake enquiries from other djs

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    to be honest I have no problem sharing anyway!
    I have no issue with sharing either, if done in an honest way. If they would only call me up, introduce themselves and arrange to meet up I would have no problem sharing and helping anyone starting out. They would even gain some valuable networking out of it and possibly some bookings. They'd gain so much more than using underhand tactics I detest. Each to their own.

I have to admit, I have done this just before I first started up as I didn't have a clue how much a disco went out for, I was in bands and a solo artist for a long time so had a rough idea but just needed to make sure it was a similar amount.

All my prices these days are all individually worked out depending on venue, distance, event & length. If it's a telephone enquiry I always ask for a budget - if it's way too low I just inform them that I can't lower my prices to match. If it's over what I normally charge - bonus!

I'm not ashamed to say I often undercut the local competition, I am by no means a cheap option but would rather have the work than not. If I don't/can't do a job I will pass it on (usually to Peter - Excalibur). I also know that Peter and I are roughly the same on most bookings.

Just for the record, I am doing quite nicely for disco work at the moment, and I'm in a good position (as I am a part-time DJ) that I can pick and choose which bookings to quote for.

Can't see a problem with it either - most businesses will check competitors prices one way or another so it's just an extension of that.

I'm with Shaun all the way on this. Have a conversation with me and I'll tell you pretty much everything you want to know, but can't stand having my time wasted by underhand tactics.
    Jonathan Ford's Travelling Discotheque http://www.jftd.co.uk/
    Thoughtful mobile disco entertainment across the Midlands

Quote Originally Posted by paulg View Post
    Can't see a problem with it either - most businesses will check competitors prices one way or another so it's just an extension of that.
    The problem is that it's a complete waste of time for other DJs to respond to these.

It's not just the price they might be after. It has been known for other peoples quotes to be used a a template for their own (and if you add other publicity material etc that can be copied too).

So now a DJ in your area has an idea of your price and how you present yourselves to potential clients - doesn't take much to drop the price while still giving the impression the same service is being offered.

Not much difference between that and copying websites.

Quote Originally Posted by ultrasound disco View Post
    Standard procedure so it is (for those of us who would admit to it) lol
    What utter rubbish, and if I remember the chap doesn't charge very much at all.

So what if you provide wizards, bose, s&h for £100 or craplins stuff for £500? Clients don't care about that stuff, every region has different markets and various priced DJs. Doesn't bother me what other providers are charging, and never understood why others care either really.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

That's a very good point and I didn't even think of that.
    When I first went full time I did a bit of 'market research' and was surprised at just how little information was given out by the people I contacted. It wasn't impressive at all.
    More often than not the replies contained a couple of lines more or less saying "I charge £*** and I am available". No information on what you got for your money, no questions asked either. Maybe those that I contacted had a feeling I was putting the feelers out but I can't see how as I wasn't even up and running properly at the time and had no website or anything so I think they were just not that great at replying.

I haven't had any fake enquiries for a while now (that isn't an invitation to start doing it by the way!).
    They don't bother me in all honesty.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post
    I haven't had any fake enquiries for a while now (that isn't an invitation to start doing it by the way!).
    They don't bother me in all honesty.
    What time is it...?

Chico Time?....No
    Hammer Time?...No

It's SPAM time

Premonition into Shakermaker's future quotes "I've never had so many enquiries before..."

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    It's not just the price they might be after. It has been known for other peoples quotes to be used a a template for their own (and if you add other publicity material etc that can be copied too).

So now a DJ in your area has an idea of your price and how you present yourselves to potential clients - doesn't take much to drop the price while still giving the impression the same service is being offered.

Not much difference between that and copying websites.
    Yeah that's another factor. I put plenty of time and effort into replying to every enquiry so to have some snidey steal that (it is intellectual property after all) and use it for their own gain is bang out of order.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 05-06-2013 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Please do not try to circumvent the forum censor. User the "censored " smiley. Thank you.