Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: fake enquiries from other djs

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Speaking of DJs calling up lying. I discussed this very thing the other day with Gary (soundmaster) after he posted this thread. I won't name names, but a local DJ called me up several years ago, putting on a fake voice asking for information and prices for a non-existent party. Now, this individual is someone I used to pass work onto regularly, and had him stored in my caller I.D (so I knew before I picked up the phone who was calling). He didn't even have the sense to call from a different phone. I've never passed work to him again. All that scenario did was reinforce my opinion in post #2.
    That is hilarious, if that was me I would have acted professionally and quoted a stupidly high amount.

Aren't any of you worried that if you don't give a normal quote to these people (idiot mentioned in story not included) they might just have been clients who are generally not all that clever or have no idea what their doing? I'd never not give a quote based on these types of suspicion - one DJ who now knows what I charge isn't worth the risk of me losing a gig.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    That is hilarious, if that was me I would have acted professionally and quoted a stupidly high amount.

Aren't any of you worried that if you don't give a normal quote to these people (idiot mentioned in story not included) they might just have been clients who are generally not all that clever or have no idea what their doing? I'd never not give a quote based on these types of suspicion - one DJ who now knows what I charge isn't worth the risk of me losing a gig.
    The sketchy ones I get tend to be through Amp DJ and for gigs I'm not interested in anyway so it's never an issue.

With the one I specifically referred to, I can't give a price until I have a specific date, time and amount of guests and the enquirer was informed of this. If she's not going to get back with that info then I'm not quoting. I'm not desperate to jump on every enquiry that comes my way and I would be amazed if this was legit. It would be interesting to know how many more local boys have had enquiries for the wedding that might never be.

I just treat every enquiry the same way. It may be real it may not. Who cares? It doesn't take long to respond to an enquiry. But to be fair, My prices are clearly stated on my website along with booked dates so I suppose any other Dj can see all the info he needs. He's welcome!

Aren't any of you worried that if you don't give a normal quote to these people (idiot mentioned in story not included)
    I quote as normal even if it seems dodgy. Even in the circumstance I mentioned above I provided him with a quote. It was obviously important enough for him to call, so he got the information he wanted. I hope it was worth it to him.

No, far better to quote ridiculously low amount, or even say you'll do it for free as you've just won the lottery and don't need the money, then wait for their response - who could turn down such an offer apart from a time-waster lol

Just this second had another suspect one.

HIM: "Hi there, just wanted a price for a 5 hour disco on the 29th of this month"

Me: "Thanks for calling. Unfortunately I'm already booked for that evening, but I can recommend another great DJ for you"

HIM: "erm, no, that's ok. I just wanted a price"

ME: "...I'm sorry, but I'm unavailable for the date you require, but I'd happy to recommend someone else?"

HIM: "No, it's ok. Bye"

Edit: A quick google of the telephone number brought up the culprit. Yep...a local DJ.
    Last edited by Shaun; 12-06-2013 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Just this second had another suspect one.

HIM: "Hi there, just wanted a price for a 5 hour disco on the 29th of this month"

Me: "Thanks for calling. Unfortunately I'm already booked for that evening, but I can recommend another great DJ for you"

HIM: "erm, no, that's ok. I just wanted a price"

ME: "...I'm sorry, but I'm unavailable for the date you require, but I'd happy to recommend someone else?"

HIM: "No, it's ok. Bye"

Edit: A quick google of the telephone number brought up the culprit. Yep...a local DJ.
    I must start hiding my number before doing that in future

Quote Originally Posted by musicologydisco View Post
    I just treat every enquiry the same way. It may be real it may not. Who cares? It doesn't take long to respond to an enquiry.
    Yes, there will always be that time when what you thought was fake turns out to be genuine.

I have to ask though, so what if they call and ask? I get it a lot and well give them the standard spiel.