Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: DJ table and truss/overhead bars

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    +1 - I've been using a Giraffe stand for the last 5yrs and while it has lasted, it's had to have quite a bit of modification to prevent some very scary wobbling of base & uprights. The cheaper Rhino stands are the worst ones I've seen, the uprights are only about 20mm diameter and they flex like tent poles!!

If I did it all again, I'd go for an Ultimax

Julian
    I get it now - I couldn't edit the post, so was unable to change it!

Anyways, I had the goalpost type for a few years, but found it almost impossible to set up on your own, due to the fact that you had to lift both sides at the same time. Would the ultimax be any easier to set up on your own?

Is this thread still going?

Haven't you bought an Ultimax yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I get it now - I couldn't edit the post, so was unable to change it!

Anyways, I had the goalpost type for a few years, but found it almost impossible to set up on your own, due to the fact that you had to lift both sides at the same time. Would the ultimax be any easier to set up on your own?
    Yeah, it was the giraffe stand that needed the mods.

Do you mean you needed to lift both of the vertical poles at the same time? If so, the only way around to some extent would be winchpods, but you'd still need two people to crank them up at the same time (correct me if I'm wrong people - I've never had wind up poles?)

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    Is this thread still going?
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    Haven't you bought an Ultimax yet?
    Not yet!

Yeah, it was the giraffe stand that needed the mods.
    Thanks, I made a mistake - to most sensible people, that wouldn't be a big deal! (and I know it wasn't a big deal to you)

Do you mean you needed to lift both of the vertical poles at the same time?
    Yep, and really darned hard - doable, but very difficult!

Wondering if it's any easier with these types of combo stands and overhead bars - anyone here know?

Almost have enough for a 1.7m Ultimax with the overhead truss - £240 is no small beer! One thing though, looking at the images of it on the web, is it tricky trying to sit down at the table with trying to put your legs under the table with those bars there? Also, is there any risk of it toppling forwards or backwards?

Almost have enough for a 1.7m Ultimax with the overhead truss - £240 is no small beer! One thing though, looking at the images of it on the web, is it tricky trying to sit down at the table with trying to put your legs under the table with those bars there? Also, is there any risk of it toppling forwards or backwards?
    Is there a reason you have to sit down? It's not really made for that. And push anything hard enough and it'll topple over, but I've never heard of an Ultimax tipping over in normal use (or at any time really).

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    Is there a reason you have to sit down? It's not really made for that.
    I did a gig a few weeks ago for 7 hours, so yep, would like to sit down occasionally. ;-) Lokks like it would be very awkward to put your feet comfortably under the table, but maybe other people who have these, can clarify?

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    push anything hard enough and it'll topple over, but I've never heard of an Ultimax tipping over in normal use (or at any time really).
    Anything topples when pushed, but some things are obviously easier to topple than others. It's just that, from the limited views on website inages, there doesn't appear to be a heck of a lot of counterbalance at the front or back?

I did a gig a few weeks ago for 7 hours, so yep, would like to sit down occasionally. ;-) Lokks like it would be very awkward to put your feet comfortably under the table, but maybe other people who have these, can clarify?

Anything topples when pushed, but some things are obviously easier to topple than others. It's just that, from the limited views on website inages, there doesn't appear to be a heck of a lot of counterbalance at the front or back?
    You can't tuck your feet under them (and you'd look like a munchkin sitting at a high table on a low chair if you could) and they won't topple over in normal use, that'd be a major design fault and there'd be posts all over the forum like a rash about it.

Like many on here I've used Ultimax stands for years, if that's the style of stand you want then they're your best choice by a mile. But if you can't afford one, or aren't gigging enough to justify it then just get a cheapo £99 one. That's your only two options really, unless you want to start looking at £600 - £800 stands and booths.

I have some Ultimax stuff for sale if you'd like to look in the for sale section. It might work out cheaper buying separates...