Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lack of courtesy, ignorance, or forgetfulness?

I take my own drinks, I won't spend my fee on the bar prices for a coke or lemonade. (although some venues don't like anyone bringing in their own drinks), I might have some food if invited but only after the guests have been up, or accept an offer of a coke if they remember, but only if I really do need it. I don't take any food on the basis I've nowhere to sit and eat it, although might take a bag or wine gums, or something similar with me.

Even on the odd event where the venue will give me drinks free, I won't abuse it one or two is the limit.

The job I did Saturday I was at the venue for 5pm, for a 7pm start, and even though there were lulls in the night as the guests arrived, for the buffet but was on my feet, behind the deck the whole time until I finished at midnight. I was at the venue for the best part of 8 hours with no way of getting food or drink unless I take my own.

So I don't think it unreasonable that clients at least offer a little hospitaility. Whilst self employed you can always try to apply ..... http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg244.pdf

Years ago our t&C always stated access to a dedicated changing room, and a proper break, with food and refreshments had to be provided by the client. I was so hungary Saturday I stopped of at 2am at McDonalds which was on the 25 mile journey home

I always take my own drinks, but it's not always possible to arrange eating around the job in hand.

Whenever I have an all day event (not very often), I just tell them that food will be required, if that's OK with them? The last all dayer I did, they asked me if a hot meal was required or if sarnies were OK.

The only time I ever eat anything on site is if a plate is brought to me, which is once in a blue moon. I always politely refuse, although I don't think there's any harm in accepting the offer either. I'm not a fan of most buffet food really, I only ever eat the sandwiches and salad if there is some.

I would never dream of helping myself though, that is very cheeky!

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur
    It's a bit galling at the end of the night to see the grub you've been a foot away from chucked into bin bags and discarded, and you were never even offered any.
    Actually, this is one of the things I dislike about the job. I hate to see food wastage of any kind, it's the great shame of the Western world, but black liners full of perfectly good food is awful to see

Quote Originally Posted by musicologydisco View Post
    It used to be the first question you were asked when you arrived at a gig.. "can I get you a drink mate?"
    *sigh* the good old days!
    Perhaps that's a better reflection on our industry though? In terms of alcoholic drinks, maybe people are getting used to the answer of "Sorry, I'm driving", and so don't offer anymore? Just speculating, I don't really know

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    and considering the amount of photographers I hear who have that they need a warm meal written into their t's and c's I think it's shocking.

Let's be fair, they have a lot less stuff to carry, can easilly nip out or bring something with them and do a lot less physical work than us and leave a lot earlier.
    Whilst I fully agree that it is terrible that they've written the provision of a meal into their contract, I can't say I agree that a photographer's day is that much easier! Is that not getting into the territory of underestimating the work they do - such as many also do with us?

I don't pretend to know the day in the life of a photographer, but I've spoken to some that have started at midday and not left for home until 9/10. They can't just leave if proceedings are dragged out - they have to stay to at least the first dance of the evening.

Then again, some do have a very short, and possibly very easy day....

Quote Originally Posted by STEVE HANLEY View Post
    I think 9 times out of 10 Peter, the reason we don't get asked is because the B&G or whoever's party it is they simply forgot to tell us to dig in. I usually don't bother. However there has been one or two occasions when I've been Hank Marvin lol. A subtle hint like asking the bride or groom if the buffet was nice always does the trick

Haha, that did make me laugh! Bet it works too!

I never accept an alcoholic drink on the job. I always just drink pints of iced water from the bar and they don't charge I know I will have a few drinks to unwind with when I get home

www.accessallareasdisco.co.uk

Proud members of the NADJ

Quote Originally Posted by BeerFunk View Post
    Whilst I fully agree that it is terrible that they've written the provision of a meal into their contract, I can't say I agree that a photographer's day is that much easier! Is that not getting into the territory of underestimating the work they do - such as many also do with us?

I don't pretend to know the day in the life of a photographer, but I've spoken to some that have started at midday and not left for home until 9/10. They can't just leave if proceedings are dragged out - they have to stay to at least the first dance of the evening.

Then again, some do have a very short, and possibly very easy day....
    I'm maybe being a bit facetious here but in a nutshell isn't a photographers day pretty much:

LOADING: Lift camera bag, lift spare camera and lense, put in car.

DAY: Hang around, take some photos. change some lenses,

UNLOADING: Take cameras and lenses out of car, put in house

I'm not saying that they have an easy job and I appreciate that many do a lot behind the scenes like checking out the venue for the best shots, doing DVDs and albums afterwards and so on but on the actual day itself, are they really exerting themselves to the point that they "need" a warm meal provided for them?

I'm maybe being a bit facetious here but in a nutshell isn't a photographers day pretty much:

I'm not saying that they have an easy job and I appreciate that many do a lot behind the scenes like checking out the venue for the best shots, doing DVDs and albums afterwards and so on but on the actual day itself, are they really exerting themselves to the point that they "need" a warm meal provided for them?
    I'd rather be stood still for 4/5 hours and setup/pack down kit than being on my feet from early morning to 8/9pm. The good ones don't "hang around" more like waiting in the background looking for that perfect shot. Just because they aren't taking photos doesn't mean they aren't working.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

I have done a few photography jobs and believe me its a long day.i simple 8 hour photography for wedding normally means arojnd 24 hours with editing, printing etc. I prefer to do the disco than the photography any day

I can't remember the last time I accepted food or drink at a gig (maybe that's just my memory, though!). Mind you, the last six or seven gigs I've done where there's been a buffet the client has offered. Like has been said, it's always nice to be offered!

Quote Originally Posted by DJDC View Post
    I take my own drinks, I won't spend my fee on the bar prices for a coke or lemonade. (although some venues don't like anyone bringing in their own drinks), I might have some food if invited but only after the guests have been up, or accept an offer of a coke if they remember, but only if I really do need it. I don't take any food on the basis I've nowhere to sit and eat it, although might take a bag or wine gums, or something similar with me.

Even on the odd event where the venue will give me drinks free, I won't abuse it one or two is the limit.

The job I did Saturday I was at the venue for 5pm, for a 7pm start, and even though there were lulls in the night as the guests arrived, for the buffet but was on my feet, behind the deck the whole time until I finished at midnight. I was at the venue for the best part of 8 hours with no way of getting food or drink unless I take my own.

So I don't think it unreasonable that clients at least offer a little hospitaility. Whilst self employed you can always try to apply ..... http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg244.pdf

Years ago our t&C always stated access to a dedicated changing room, and a proper break, with food and refreshments had to be provided by the client. I was so hungary Saturday I stopped of at 2am at McDonalds which was on the 25 mile journey home
    The way I see this, though, is that the venue is our workplace. We're not there to be making money for the venue we're there to provide a service. The way I see it is that I am there to make money and not spend it. And I've never had a problem with a venue saying I can't use my own drinks there. Maybe I've just been lucky.

As for the HSE guidelines, well, maybe if the venue is the employer/contractor. Not sure that a venue had to provide these facilities for something they aren't connected with through employment.

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    I'd rather be stood still for 4/5 hours and setup/pack down kit than being on my feet from early morning to 8/9pm. The good ones don't "hang around" more like waiting in the background looking for that perfect shot. Just because they aren't taking photos doesn't mean they aren't working.
    Can't fault that argument!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

I take the view that if it's OK for bands, togs etc to be fed and watered it's also OK for me - obviously that doesn't override good manners and discretion on my part but I see no reason to consider myself lower in the pecking order than any other supplier.

Sorry but you are talking complete crap here!!!

Have you ever done a FULL day of photography work, if the B&G want a 'storyboard' type wedding album, you need to be taking a lot of photo's usually starting at the brides house/salon for the bride preparation pics - you could easily be talking a 12 hour+ day here, and then there's the backing up when you get home, and then the weeks worth of post processing, yes a photographer could 'nip out' for a bite, but as you are almost 'on-call' all day it's a hard one to call - also what if it's in some little country village on a Sunday where no shops are open?

Back on-topic, I never ask for food and definitely not join the buffet queue uninvited but if I am asked, I will usually grab something small to nibble on. As for drinks, yep I'll always accept that offer