Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Computer advice please.

Default Computer advice please.

OK folks, here we go. The desktop PC is showing its age terribly. Due to a misunderstanding, it's eight months overdue for replacement on the lease, so it's time I swapped it. They'll charge me £76 to buy it, and allow me £66 for upgrading, so all in all, £10 to add to the price of the next one. I've had approval on the change, and I can walk out of PC World with goods to the value of £5,536.91

Needless to say, that's over £5,000 more than I intend to spend. I'm looking around £350, base unit only. Now the problems start. The people who designed the operating system for the Denon HD2500 were headhunted by Microsoft to design Windows 8, because it was felt that no-one else could design such a counter intuitive, unwieldy, illogical, unhelpful, and downright frustrating operating system as these guys. And by heavens they were right! They've excelled themselves. In accordance with the principle of alternating excellent ones with crap ones, they've come up with the worst yet.

So, first up, if I buy a machine with the accursed work of Satan installed, can I revert for free to my beloved Windows 7? If not, will I have to purchase a Windows 7disk?

Second, ( and I know I've asked this before ) is there any software/cable which will allow me to copy the important bits from the old one to work on the new one? I can shift data, but programmes are usually beyond me. ( As I sit here, I don't know which ones, but I'm sure there are some. )

this one seems to fit my needs. Under £400, 1Tb hard drive, 6USB ports, and WiFi built in. Nothing better seems to leap out at me. The only downside I can see on this one is the lack of USB3 .0 ports, but since I've only got one 3.0 item ( which will only be connected to update music anyway ) that won't be a problem at the moment. Or can anyone find me a better deal/machine from Currys/PC World?

Thanks folks, I appreciate your thoughts.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Peter, try these people, I have used them and they are very good. You can choose whichever op sys you want.

www.powerc.com

Steve
    ...the chemistry of music
    ''''

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    Peter, try these people, I have used them and they are very good. You can choose whichever op sys you want.

www.powerc.com

Steve
    Ta for that. Sadly, you overlooked the bold text specifying where I have to buy the machine from. Currys/PC World. That's who the leasing company are dealing with. Since If I went elsewhere, I'd lose the £66 for starting a new one, and the old one would then cost me £76 to buy, rather than a tenner. PC World wouldn't be my first choice otherwise, but I have to say that my dealings with them in these matters has been painless so far. Thanks anyway.

Does PC World extend to PC World Business? As that would open up your options considerably. If you don't already know, might be worth an ask

Peter, in answer to the second part of your post, you can buy a crossover cable for transferring files and settings to your new computer. However, this is pretty pointless given that Windows includes it's own transfer utility - Windows Easy Transfer. This will make the whole process much simpler as the wizard does all the work for you.

Unfortunately, programs and software have to be reinstalled on the system - you can't simply copy them across from an old computer to a new one. This is due to the way software installs on computers - it basically puts bits of code just about everywhere!!! And it has to amend the registry so that the computer knows where to find all of the relevant bits and what it should do with them.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by Vectis View Post
    Does PC World extend to PC World Business? As that would open up your options considerably. If you don't already know, might be worth an ask
    Err, yes but..................................... Blimey, it took me ages to get the hang of this leasing lark, so I hope you're not going to suggest anything complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    Unfortunately, programs and software have to be reinstalled on the system - you can't simply copy them across from an old computer to a new one.
    Oh poo!

Slightly off topic Peter but can you share why you lease it?

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Err, yes but..................................... Blimey, it took me ages to get the hang of this leasing lark, so I hope you're not going to suggest anything complicated
    Nope, nothing confusing ... just that there's far more choice at PCWB and a quick drive-by shows plenty of towers that can be supplied without monitor and either with W7 installed or with downgrade rights for well inside budget.

As they primarily supply business clients they'd be daft to abandon W7 for some time yet.

Windows 7 ..................'Buy a disc'....................NEVER !!

.............Oh a blank one maybe !!

If your old computer is obsolete just remove the hard drive aNd install it into your new computer. Transfer complete! I'd strongly advise you avoid any insurances with pc world, actually just the whole of pc world. my personal experience of them on 3 seperate occasions in 2 different stores has been appauling. Took them 2 months to change the hard drive with 5 visits from myself resulting in them losing the computer! Is just buy a bade unit from eBay as long as they are a pc seller not some wannabe computer builder. And there's nothin wrong with windows 8, much quicker once you learn how to use it.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD