Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Business idea..

Default Business idea..

Hey, I'm just going through the process of writing all the info I want to put on my website, I was thinking about putting on there that I could be an event host.. along the lines of bringing a P.A and making the announcements at country shows, car shows etc etc anything that would require a presenter, do any of you offer this service?. Thanks

Yes, gala's fete's and retail but never with my own pa outdoors - it just ain't big enough to do things on such a scale.

I normally add-on hosting/MCing to my main services.... sometimes as a loss-leader.

To illustrate: I have a wedding next year where they're paying me to act solely as Master of Ceremonies in the day, then paying again for me to come back in the evening with my "singer" hat. Two different types of performance IMO!

They had already booked a separate (excellent) DJ who I've worked with a fair few times before: but they've booked me because the DJ is not comfortable with anything more than making anouncements (which he does exceedingly well, I must say) from behind his booth.
    The client wants someone "out front" and is willing to pay extra for it.

So what I'm getting to is: there could well be an opportunity for you but IMHO you need to decide what your market & skills-set is in order to sell the right way to it.
    Do the events your targeting need a host/MC/presenter or an announcer? Personally I'd say there's a important difference between.

A host/presenter is about drawing people's focus/attention to a set point (you in the first instance, as a physical entity, not a voice out of the ether LOL)
    and then 'throwing/moving' their focus to ANOTHER the point of interest (eg bride and groom entering/ company CEO stepping up to speak/models stepping onto the runway etc)
    This is often within within a same defined space/line of sight. (eg same room or stage(s).)

Not sure quite how country fairs/car shows 'work' but I'm imagining "guests" (visitors) are spread out over a very large area with their attentions split between many points of interest (i.e. stalls/displays) already. Very difficult to host in the sense defined above.

An *announcer* may be more in line with whats need since here - informing visitors over the PA of what's about to start where in order to encourage audience numbers for "keynote" events. (Sheepdog display, tug-o-war, or whatever.) A different skill set...and one that I personally need to develop as it's not where I'm naturaly so comfortable.

If there are then keynote events WITHIN the general event that need a host/compare "out front" (eg fashion show, talent show etc) this becomes a different matter and where those more physical performance skills also come more into play. Unless the customer only wants/needs an announcer...

Most DJs act as "announcers" anyway : so selling it as a distinct (chargeable) service may be an uphill struggle. Using your experience as a USP might be the way forward. Highlight where you've done it before and explain the difference it makes - make clear what makes you better to some Sid mumbling over his music thorugh a £10 Maplins mic.

That's my five pounds twenty worth anyway.....sorry if I prattled on, but hope it helps. :-D

Its a lot of work in bad weather some of the time. i suppose its a very social job though and probably great fun.
    Dont let bands patch into your kit though and get good microphones etc.

Also do you have experience of this as good public speaking is a mile away from doing discos.
    Depends on what level you wish to do it though
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Thanks for the replies, I'm quite active on the mic at the disco's I do, and do alot of kids disco's so I'm confident wondering around and speaking on the mic in front of people (although to be honest I used to hate it! and be in full on panic mode.. although I've overcome that now luckily), I've done a few bits on hospital radio, and got involved with outside events with them. I'm aiming at/trying to find a way to maximise the potential earnings, in order to cut down the hours I'm doing at my day job...
    The big problem I seem to have, and i guess most of you will have, is trying to find a way to earn I dunno 100 - 200 pound in the week, Ideally doing something related to DJing/entertaining, if any of you have the secret to that, then im all ears

Quote Originally Posted by safdiscos View Post
    Thanks for the replies, I'm quite active on the mic ......I'm confident wondering around and speaking on the mic in front of people .......I've done a few bits on hospital radio, and got involved with outside events with them.
    Sounds like you've already got a sound basis for those kind of events. If you do radio work that's ideal for the Accouncer thing I was talking about. As Toby said ...it's still a bit different to public speaking/MCing.

Quote Originally Posted by safdiscos View Post
    The big problem I seem to have, and i guess most of you will have, is trying to find a way to earn I dunno 100 - 200 pound in the week, Ideally doing something related to DJing/entertaining, if any of you have the secret to that, then im all ears
    Personally I'd say if you're looking to earn decent money for it then getting trained up for and then marketing at corporate hosting would be a better route. It's also not so seasonal?

Even if you're fairly confident on the mic, I for one would say what you learn at a decent speaking/presenting course is invaluable. The courses that Brian Wroe does via Toby/Bogfrog are superb. I am certainly more confident since going on one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Boy View Post
    The courses that Brian Wroe does via Toby/Bogfrog are superb. I am certainly more confident since going on one.
    Definitely, shame we never did the speaking with confidence one as that would have been very beneficial. I mainly did the course for me and I have now learnt most of the etiquette and toastmaster stuff as it can be very restrictive. You can always improve speaking skills though and body language / stage presence.

Opinions have changed lots in the last year so there is scope. I just could not see a decent business model as there were only a tight nit group of people who were interested in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dCurnM42BU

Its also not fun marketing to people who basically tell you your business is crap! Some of the original sceptics actually enrolled in Marbecca LOL (which costs £1200). Ironic.

I am guessing that unless you get to a certain level then you will be doing small fares and other corporates who will want you all day and will want to pay you next to nothing. Without a decent portfolio and large corporates will not touch you (trust me i have tried). What about approaching PA hire companies who give set up the sound and lighting and sell yourself through them? Get a good video done like this one (which is Brian by the way):

Have you thought about voice acting as that is the easiest £200 I have ever earnt. Its great fun too, but you need to be spot on it. Its very frustrating when you stumble on words etc. I have been a dinosaur in a cartoon, a health and safety key note speaker, radio advert and all sorts.
    Last edited by yourdj; 18-06-2013 at 11:06 AM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

People wishing to improve their public speaking should check out this organisation, it's a LOT cheaper option than the various seminars offered, it used to be free, and maybe it still is. http://www.the-asc.org.uk/index.htm
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Pe7e View Post
    People wishing to improve their public speaking should check out this organisation, it's a LOT cheaper option than the various seminars offered, it used to be free, and maybe it still is. http://www.the-asc.org.uk/index.htm
    Excellent stuff - thanks for this link Pe7e.
    Looked up and there's a club 4 minutes from my home.... BONUS. Seize every opportunity to improve, I say.