Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using a venue name in the URL

Default Using a venue name in the URL

Afternoon!

Here's one for the web gurus & legal eagles.

Are you allowed legally to use a venues name in a url for your own purposes eg: thesavoyhotelweddingdisco.co.uk or along the lines of weddingdjtheritz.co.uk you get the jist of it.

Is allowed legally or just frowned upon? I know of a photographer round my way that has registered lots of domains in this vein.
    Professional DJ & Event services inc Led & Starlight dancefloors, Venue uplighting

Derbyshire Wedding DJ - Wedding Uplighting, Dancefloors and Professional Wedding DJs

My understanding of domain name registration is that anything is allowed in principle, but can be objected to later. If the objection is upheld, you'll have wasted your money.

I think it's highly unlikely that the venue would other to object to it, but then, why wouldn't you ask them beforehand anyway?

It wouldn't be long before one or more of the aggrieved venues decided to use the Nominet DRS if they weren't happy with the arrangement
    http://www.nominet.org.uk/disputes/when-use-drs

It could be an expensive lesson!

Expensive only for those using the DRS...if you don't fight it and give them the domain it has only cost you whatever registration period is left on the domain...a few pounds at most?

Or, just get .com

No idea on the legality of this one - it would definitely me off if somebody was using my hotel's good name to advertise their totally unrelated service with no benefits for myself.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Legally? So long as you weren't passing yourself off as the organisation in question, then I'm pretty sure there's nothing that can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Vectis View Post
    Legally? So long as you weren't passing yourself off as the organisation in question, then I'm pretty sure there's nothing that can be done.
    Usually, you can't trademark general everyday words - they have to be unique words used only in a single context such as the word "iPod". "Personal Music Player" wouldn't be allowed as it's not specific enough. So, in theory, there shouldn't be a legal issue here. As Martin says, it only becomes illegal if you are deliberately trying to make people think that you are in someway connected with a registered trademark. For example, I could register a domain www.ilovemcdonalds.co.uk and make it clear that I am an not McDonalds. But, if I registered www.mcdonalds.org or www.mcdonalds.net then a simple disclaimer "www.mcdonalds.org is in no way connected with McDonalds Inc. and no connection now, in the past or in the future is implied" would be enough PROVIDING McDonaldsdon't object. Nominet is scared of big businesses so would probably ask me to relinquish the domain but couldn't, legally, force me to do so. If I refused the next step would be for McDonalds to take me court for copyright/trademark infringement or whatever the charge of trying to make people believe I'm connected to McDonalds would be (can't think right now!). It would then be up to a judge to decide if my domain name breaches the trademark or is liable to confuse people in to thinking that I am McDonalds.

I only used McDonalds as an example! And this is only my take on things. I'm not a trademark/copyright lawyer!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

I do this, but include information and advertising for the venue.
    Been online and unchanged for four years and no one has said anything.

http://www.newforestwedding.co.uk/ca...edding-dj.html
    Last edited by yourdj; 18-06-2013 at 02:39 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    I do this, but include information and advertising for the venue.
    Been online and unchanged for four years and no one has said anything.

http://www.newforestwedding.co.uk/ca...edding-dj.html
    Looks fine to me - you're not claiming to be the official DJ of careys manor - just providing information of what you would do if you were to be booked at the venue.
    Don't like that photo though ... makes me feel dizzy!

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    Looks fine to me - you're not claiming to be the official DJ of careys manor
    Well, yes he is...

I am the resident DJ at Careys Manor and perform at over 100 weddings a year across the New Forest.