Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Food conundrum, "bring and share". Advice welcomed.

Default Food conundrum, "bring and share". Advice welcomed.

Right folks, to explain further, we're going to a mate's funeral on Friday. Following the funeral, is a "wake". ( Dress code is "summery". Could be the first time I've attended a funeral in a pair of bermuda shorts and a Hawaiian shirt! )

Now here's the thing. It's down in Dorset, thus we won't have access to any kitchen facilities, as we'll be staying in a B&B the night before the funeral. ( Actually, a thought has just occurred in that area, but I won't go into that yet ).

So, what could we purchase in Sainsburys, or similar supermarkets, that we could take to the wake? Really needs to be slightly more upmarket than a tube of Pringles and a four pack of Carling. Also, the only refrigeration available in the car will be a cool bag and ice packs ( and they might not be frozen by then, either, so the Prawn Vol-au-vents are out as well. )

Over to you on this one, all ( sensible ) advice gratefully received.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I'm not getting this...

You have to take food with you?

Can you not just go into a pub/restaurant before?

I'm guessing everyone is bringing something to contribute towards the buffet for the wake, Darren.

Peter, I'm not sure about other supermarkets, but Waitrose do party catering if you order it beforehand, so you could look at what they have to offer, order it, and pick it up on the Friday - depending upon locations / timings, either before the funeral, or even between the funeral and the wake. (Although I do feel bound to point out that, as it's after the funeral, it's not a 'Wake'. )

Pre-boil new potatoes, keep 'em in the cool bag, buy mayo and spring onions/chives etc and make a potato salad.

Or cook loads of fusilli pasta, keep in cool bag, then buy tins of tuna, tins of italian mixed beans, and bit of onion and bit of mayo, couple of dashes of Encona chilli sauce - pasta tuna salad.

They're my usual bring and share offerings.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    I'm not getting this...

You have to take food with you?

Can you not just go into a pub/restaurant before?
    Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Entertainment View Post
    I'm guessing everyone is bringing something to contribute towards the buffet for the wake, Darren.
    Correct Angela.

(Although I do feel bound to point out that, as it's after the funeral, it's not a 'Wake'. )
    Really? Two things I've learnt today. Will check that, thanks Angela.

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    Pre-boil new potatoes, keep 'em in the cool bag, buy mayo and spring onions/chives etc and make a potato salad.

Or cook loads of fusilli pasta, keep in cool bag, then buy tins of tuna, tins of italian mixed beans, and bit of onion and bit of mayo, couple of dashes of Encona chilli sauce - pasta tuna salad.

They're my usual bring and share offerings.
    Sound advice Martin. My problem is that it would have to be made on Thursday morning at the latest, and I wonder if it would still be OK at around noon Friday, after a three hundred mile car journey, and being left in the car overnight.

My preferred option so far is to dash into the supermarket ( the two in town are Sainsburys and CO-OP ) and grab something off the shelf, so it's only got to be kept cool for an hour or two at the most.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Correct Angela.

Really? Two things I've learnt today. Will check that, thanks Angela.

Sound advice Martin. My problem is that it would have to be made on Thursday morning at the latest, and I wonder if it would still be OK at around noon Friday, after a three hundred mile car journey, and being left in the car overnight.

My preferred option so far is to dash into the supermarket ( the two in town are Sainsburys and CO-OP ) and grab something off the shelf, so it's only got to be kept cool for an hour or two at the most.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.
    Pasta or potatoes should be fine if kept in a decent coolbag with those cool blocks - mine was still really cold after a whole day in a hot car last week.

But for off the shelf - quiches would be my next choice, they usually go down well, especially if you get some fairly posh ones (well when I say posh I mean anything with goats cheese on it). And of course coleslaw and potato salads are available ready made.

What if everyone turns up with potato salad? Is no-one co-ordinating this BYO buffet?

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    ... fairly posh ones (well when I say posh I mean anything with goats cheese on it).
    If it just takes Goats cheese to make it posh, order some of the more "upmarket" offerings from Pizza Hut for delivery

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Peter, I'm not sure about other supermarkets, but Waitrose do party catering if you order it beforehand
    Waitrose?????

We are talking about Peter here...

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    Waitrose?????

We are talking about Peter here...
    Absolutely, but if I have to slum it in Waitrose, then so be it. If I have to lower my standards this once, I'll have to grin and bear it.