Well after 8 years of virtually constant use , my trusted old XP desktop had reached the end of its life.
Hardware failures were getting more common , HD full with all those small programs you couldn't do without ( at the time).
Time for a new machine , well after a few wasted hours at PC world trying to find someone who actually new what a computer was...
I came across a Lenovo all one intel i3 , 6gig ram , 1tb drive , 23" scereen , 6 X USB ports , touch pad extension, and Windows 8 , all for the sum of £499.
Also brought a SATA HD enclosure, to USB 3 , to transfer data from the old hard drive.
Set up is a breeze , it found the SKY router , entered the password , on the net straight away , fired up the laptops and the net book , win 8 took a minute , and up they came on the screen , so the networking was seamless.
made a few folders in C:/users/daryll/ and transferred all my data from the old drive , songs took 2 hours , photos took a bit longer at 3 hours , I just dumped the entire "my documents" folder to the new hard drive , er........that took 4 hours
win 8 takes a bit of getting used to , however i downloaded a small app that puts the start button where it should be , and brings up the familiar start menu.
There are still a few things I cant get my head round , but it will come , or someone has a patch somewhere.
so all in all , I am pleased with win 8.

Daryll