Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: My Poor mans MyDMX controller

Default My Poor mans MyDMX controller

After looking for a cheap DMX controller to simply focus my moving heads onto a mirror ball - not wanting to pay over the odds and not wanting to wait a month for china to ship me a controller I decided to buy the chip without the enclosure and make my own -

behold - Dave's DMX! with flashing lights and everything (although you can't see it very well through the hole I made on the other side).

Works great with freestyler DMX, and does exactly what I want for £25 and an hour spent with card and tape.

Name:  IMAG0632.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  48.9 KB
    Name:  IMAG0631.jpg
Views: 835
Size:  60.9 KB
    Name:  mirrorball.png
Views: 552
Size:  437.6 KB

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Lol sweet but you can buy plastic and metal enclosures out of Maplins for buttons and would protect it a lot more...

Yer I found one which was a bit too big but would have been fine for £4.

It would have taken more effort to put it into a maplins box, cost me money and would invole me getting off my arse so decided that this board and tape would do it's quite sturdy though... I reckon it'd withstand me sitting on it.

haha very nice, don't forget to tape it to a light pole so everyone can see your fab handiwork
    Maidstone Based Professional Disco
    www.lasersounds.co.uk

Does that do the same job as this?? If so, then hats off to you!

So naff, sorry.

Horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerFunk View Post
    Does that do the same job as this?? If so, then hats off to you!
    yes, ADJ include their own software and make it a big selling feature however you can download for free a program which does the same job - freestyler.
    Plugged it in selected my moving heads from a list and all the controls for everything appeared before my eyes!
    I would assume (due to the price) that ADJ's chip is of a better quality ... if not then it's just the box and the name on the box you're paying the extra £100 for.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    So naff, sorry.

Horrible.
    It's not the best looking of things. Will fit in perfectly with my empty flight cases and cables under my table though could always give it a lick of paint I suppose!

i think its really cool, Yes looks ugly but if it does the job then hats off to you.

I'd be more concerned about damage to it. Circuit mounted USB and XLR connectors aren't particularly strong and all of my mobile kit does take quite a hammering.

I ended up buying the DMXKing DMX module which a) buffers the DMX output so the PC only has to send instructions when it wants to change an output b) has four outputs which in theory can run four DMX chains in two universes (thought Freestyler doesn't support twin universes at present) and c) comes in a really strong metal case!

Cost about 8 times as much as this though I really would invest in a decent case for it, it'll pay off.

Out of interest, where did you get the bare bones USB to DMX module from?

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

EBay, you can get these modules fitted at the end of a cable for £40 which makes more sense than making your own box but I didn't fancy waiting and these were in the UK ready to be shipped.

Can't speak for them all but my module is pretty well soldered on quite strong, and both dmx and USB connectors feel to be of a goid quality - secure fit.
    Half considered buying a bunch of boxes abd putting these chips in them and selling them on but I think I'll leave it to somebody with more time on their hands :-)