Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Default If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

An adage that certain companies might do well to follow at times.
    Right, as detailed elsewhere, I've got a new Windows 7 desktop. The old one is Vista, and I have grown to love and understand Windows Mail. My laptop is Windows 7, but I've never ( knowingly ) used it for email, so I've never used Windows Live Mail. Here's the tricky bit. Can I either configure Live Mail to be almost exactly like Mail, or can I even somehow run Mail instead? Initial Googling has baffled me, and that's even before I've tried to configure any account settings.

As you may guess, there may be other questions along similar lines, until/unless I admit defeat and run two base units together, because I haven't been able to set the new one up to my satisfaction. Progress? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    Thanks folks
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    An adage that certain companies might do well to follow at times.
    Right, as detailed elsewhere, I've got a new Windows 7 desktop. The old one is Vista, and I have grown to love and understand Windows Mail. My laptop is Windows 7, but I've never ( knowingly ) used it for email, so I've never used Windows Live Mail. Here's the tricky bit. Can I either configure Live Mail to be almost exactly like Mail, or can I even somehow run Mail instead? Initial Googling has baffled me, and that's even before I've tried to configure any account settings.

As you may guess, there may be other questions along similar lines, until/unless I admit defeat and run two base units together, because I haven't been able to set the new one up to my satisfaction. Progress? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    Thanks folks
    Did it not just work straight out of the box then?
    www.mobiledjcumbria.co.uk

N.A.D.J Member

North East & Cumbria branch Founder member

Quote Originally Posted by deltic View Post
    Did it not just work straight out of the box then?
    Watch it son, any mention of waterproof overcoats, and I'm heading off to look for the "ban" button.

Come on mate, I thought connecting it to the internet via my Livebox all on my own was pretty impressive.

And the next question, even though we've not solved the first one yet:
    Two computers, one printer. Should be a doddle to share them, eh? Well no. I'm guessing that since I'm controlling them both with a KVM switch, when I select the new one, I'm effectively disconnecting the old one ( attached physically to the printer ). Aren't I? Is there an easy solution, or am I going to have to hot swap the printer USB cable each time?

Buy a wireless printer or set up a network and share the printer on the network.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    Buy a wireless printer or set up a network and share the printer on the network.
    Well yes, a solution which had occurred to me. Sadly, I recently purchased a new printer without that facility. Hey ho.

Allegedly, it should be possible with what I have, but as I said, I fear the KVM switch is preventing that. Ah well.

And setting up a network?

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    And setting up a network?
    I sort of tried that. It was complicated. And as I said before, I think that when I select the new computer with the KVM switch, it may be disconnecting the old one from the network. Since the old one has the printer on, that's a problem.

I may have another go sometime. Thanks anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Can I either configure Live Mail to be almost exactly like Mail, or can I even somehow run Mail instead?
    I'm not sure you can, microsoft are phasing out there old programs - windows mesh has merged with skydrive, hotmail - Live mail / outlook.
    I use windows live mail as it's great for seeing emails from multiple accounts and generally easy to use, I would suggest learning to love this email program as it's a very good one in my opinion.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Default Aaaaaaaaaaaargh, Spotify has gone Black!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think Spotify has upgraded its version, it does that from time to time, usually with no ill effects. This time however, it's gone from a normal, easily readable background to some trendy, virtually illegible black one! Anybody know how to change it back? Please? Pretty please?

Current sat nav is terminally ill. ( Or it will be, when I throw it out of the window on the way home, after I've passed breaking point )
    It keeps leaving the navigation display, cos I reckon it thinks I'm trying to change, when I'm not.
    So, I inspected the current equivalent. Oh dear. They've " improved " it. Words fail me. It took me months to acclimatise to this one when I changed last time, and Idon't envisage it being as rapid this time. Grrrr.

Similarly, after a customer ripped the cables out of my trusty German powerbar, destroying one of the circuit boards, I bought a new one, safe in the knowledge that they'd be identical. Alas, no. I suspected this due to the way some programmes ran, and my suspicions were confirmed when it turned out the new ones have seven pins per can, and the old one has four. Hence why sourcing the board for the old one is proving tiresome.

I suppose my next trial will be when I get a Windows 10 machine. I can't wait.