Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    Gotcha

I have my phone on a mount on the screen.

My phone is my Sat Nav, so if I'm following Google Maps home, then I see notifications on screen easily. Google Maps is my preferred option - even for routes I already know as the live traffic updates route me the quickest way to the venue, avoiding any traffic incidents or road closures (helped me avoid an M3 closure I wasn't aware of one night).

Additionally, if I'm not using the Sat Nav, my phone lights up the moment I get a text (screen comes on and shows I have a message). I can then ask Google to read the message to me.

I don't think there's any option for it to override the radio to announce a message - and I think the majority of people wouldn't want that - hence why it doesn't do that (although I can see it would be a useful feature to at least have as an option to turn on).

Hope the above helps - if you don't use Google Maps for your route home, then I highly recommend it, even when you know the route home.
    I do exactly the same

I'm not sure Android Auto can kick in over your radio with announcements. If I want to hear stuff over the car audio ('15 Ford Focus) I have to select the phone's Bluetooth as the input. So I'd have to have the radio / music playing from the phone...so I just switch to this if I need to hear anything from the phone.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3263...n-any-car.html

Gotcha

I have my phone on a mount on the screen.

My phone is my Sat Nav, so if I'm following Google Maps home, then I see notifications on screen easily. Google Maps is my preferred option - even for routes I already know as the live traffic updates route me the quickest way to the venue, avoiding any traffic incidents or road closures (helped me avoid an M3 closure I wasn't aware of one night).
    A valid point, and my wife now follows the same procedure. She finds the phone easier than a sat nav. On occasion, I have done so, but I'm still a traditionalist ( Luddite? ) who has grown accustomed to a sat nav.
    Additionally, if I'm not using the Sat Nav, my phone lights up the moment I get a text (screen comes on and shows I have a message). I can then ask Google to read the message to me.
    Blimey, seems a lot like hard work! Like I said, in the Good Old Days, it was automatic.
    I don't think there's any option for it to override the radio to announce a message - and I think the majority of people wouldn't want that - hence why it doesn't do that (although I can see it would be a useful feature to at least have as an option to turn on).
    I for one would need that.
    Hope the above helps - if you don't use Google Maps for your route home, then I highly recommend it, even when you know the route home.
    Indeed. My New Years Day ride home was not the expected one, due to a big smash on the M180. I had been lucky to find out about it by chance from a colleague. The idea of live updates is attractive, although sat navs can also do this. Sadly this requires parting with extra wonga, so the phone scores highly here.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Indeed. My New Years Day ride home was not the expected one, due to a big smash on the M180. I had been lucky to find out about it by chance from a colleague. The idea of live updates is attractive, although sat navs can also do this. Sadly this requires parting with extra wonga, so the phone scores highly here.
    Google Maps live update is awesome, and (usually) very accurate. Not so great on recent road closures, though. My wife always asks me why I blindly follow Google rather than her directions, my answer is always "they have more satellites than you"

I don't think any sat nav quite matches what Google have achieved. Tom Tom do have a live traffic service, but Google to me is unsurpassed in accuracy of live traffic - including queues. It accurately predicts my live arrival time as I set off, and is rarely wrong!

To me, it renders Sat Navs defunct in the same way that the phone has rendered the home video camera, portable mp3 player and portable camera defunct too!

Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post
    I do exactly the same

I'm not sure Android Auto can kick in over your radio with announcements. If I want to hear stuff over the car audio ('15 Ford Focus) I have to select the phone's Bluetooth as the input. So I'd have to have the radio / music playing from the phone...so I just switch to this if I need to hear anything from the phone.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3263...n-any-car.html
    That's abysmal! Can your phone play music from a full size USB stick? For probably the last seven or eight years, I've driven around listening to my eclectic choice of music from an USB stick plugged into the radio, and if a phone call or message came in it would override that, and allow me to respond instantly. Sheer perfection. Since the modern technological advances and upgrades, I can no longer do this. You really think that's progress?

I don't think any sat nav quite matches what Google have achieved. Tom Tom do have a live traffic service, but Google to me is unsurpassed in accuracy of live traffic - including queues. It accurately predicts my live arrival time as I set off, and is rarely wrong!

To me, it renders Sat Navs defunct in the same way that the phone has rendered the home video camera, portable mp3 player and portable camera defunct too!
    Gavin, it is hard to dispute that statement. I take that on board completely, but the sat nav permanently plugged in on the van dashboard has been with me a looooong time, and it's hard to say goodbye. Also, should anything occur on the phone, the sat nav keeps running, so no loss oof instructions.

That's abysmal! Can your phone play music from a full size USB stick? For probably the last seven or eight years, I've driven around listening to my eclectic choice of music from an USB stick plugged into the radio, and if a phone call or message came in it would override that, and allow me to respond instantly. Sheer perfection. Since the modern technological advances and upgrades, I can no longer do this. You really think that's progress?
    I must agree, it's the one thing that annoys me about my setup. I think I have an adaptor somewhere which lets me plug a full sized USB anything in to my phone, and could probably play stuff that way, but then it wouldn't be charging as it uses the same port.

I have a Deezer account and streaming to that, going through the car's audio, works OK but I just don't like using the data when the radio is there. You can download playlists, though, and then they'll play from the phone without any data usage, and I've been know to do this. I think, using Google Play Music, I can also play anything that's stored on the phone (currently around 11Gb).

Default Update and restart.

You want to update the PC?
    Well if you must, OK. Just don't alter too much.

And definitely don't kill Microsoft Office suite, you total and absolute

Well, the latest update euthanased Office totally. I got the impression that to reinstall it, I'd have to uninstall it first, which I didn't fancy. I found a " Quick Repair " facility, which was a breach of the trades descriptions act, cos it didn't fix the fault.

All the accepted and authorised methods I tried failed, and it was only pure luck that a fellow sufferer had posted that " run as administrator " cured his problem. Cured mine, too.