Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I dunno what it is about wireless printers, but every blinking time I try to print something wirelessly I end up reaching for a USB cable. And then, as if by magic, the print starts. It must see the cable & think I'm going to throttle it by that point.

In making something 'simple' to operate (in my case) my Epson inkjet has made the process of fault-finding completely opaque. Not to mention annoying with all its nagging about non-genuine cartridges & updates.

With regard to your email Peter, why not try a different mail client like Thunderbird? Sure it's not the best email program ever made but I find it a darn sight better than anything Microsoft have ever churned out. I use webmail (gmail for personal stuff & webmail for my web domain email) & a phone client for all my email duties now & don't have any issues with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Current sat nav is terminally ill. ( Or it will be, when I throw it out of the window on the way home, after I've passed breaking point )
    It keeps leaving the navigation display, cos I reckon it thinks I'm trying to change, when I'm not.
    So, I inspected the current equivalent. Oh dear. They've " improved " it. Words fail me. It took me months to acclimatise to this one when I changed last time, and Idon't envisage it being as rapid this time. Grrrr.

Similarly, after a customer ripped the cables out of my trusty German powerbar, destroying one of the circuit boards, I bought a new one, safe in the knowledge that they'd be identical. Alas, no. I suspected this due to the way some programmes ran, and my suspicions were confirmed when it turned out the new ones have seven pins per can, and the old one has four. Hence why sourcing the board for the old one is proving tiresome.

I suppose my next trial will be when I get a Windows 10 machine. I can't wait.
    Peter, some advice, don't bother with Windows 10.

I very much doubt it can do anything FOR YOUR REQUIREMENTS that 7 does already.

My old TOSH laptop is swinging along beautifully for everything on windows 7-internet, word processing etc.

Got a new Laptop with Windows 8 and upgraded to 10.

Very disappointed.

The Microsoft effort to try and amalgamate all your email boxes together is rubbish--they obviously tried to copy Apples I pad menu for emails which is fantastic--well it is compared to windows 10.

Re sat nav--mine lost its brain so I took it back to Halfords under warranty and they tried to tell me a factory reset would fix it. Yeah every few weeks nip into Halfords --aft

If it's on the way to a gig --which it was--it's not funny, even if you can map read.

After a bit of ARGUING they agreed to give me a new one, as I said --ITS GOING TO GO WRONG AGAIN.

I use GARMIN SAT NAVS which seem reasonable so far, apart from above, the oldest one in the family about 8 years or more is still going strong--even if doesn't recognise everything these days as not updated.

ALAN

Had an issue with windows 10 and my audio interface ... well more an issue with Edirol who make the UA25.
    Spent a good hour sorting it all out by editing some code in some file! Not Microsoft's problem Edirol have just abandoned supporting it.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Default HSBC Business Internet Banking.

I've calmed down below simmer now, and should soon be quite relaxed.

Once upon a time, I had a Business account, and a Personal account, both accessed in the same way on the same web page. I entered different details for each account, and logged in without any hitches at all for years.
    HSBC decided that businesses needed extra security, so moved me across to the Business system, sending me a " Welcome " pack. This set in motion a chain of events, firstly they removed my previous access, forcing me to set up the new one. Partly my fault, as I put it off too long, after all, why change?

This pack expired, so I was sent a new one, with all new codes to activate the thing. The inevitable error code came up, so I rang helpdesk. " Our end is fine, so we don't know what's wrong. I'll email the boffins department, who will be at work tomorrow, and we'll ring to let you know. "

Correct, no phone call. I ring again, am offered a new welcome pack which will add another 7-10 days delay. She rings the boffins, who aren't any help, they'll look at it and get back to me tomorrow. I try to convey my displeasure to the young lady, who eventually hangs up.

You're already ahead of me, aren't you? No call, I ring again, and get a very helpful young lady. By this time, I'm losing the will to live, so have mellowed a little. After a loooooong time on hold, she sends out another activation code by text, which takes time to arrive, so I say goodbye. The text arrives in ten minutes, so I ring helpdesk again, to be walked through the process for the umpteenth time, and voila, success!!

Pancakes and time now, I feel.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Funny enough I've just changed from Natwest to HSBC, and I'm finding they're a breath of fresh air and nothing more than helpful.
    Maybe that's because I'm a new customer - it just WORKS for me

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Funny enough I've just changed from Natwest to HSBC, and I'm finding they're a breath of fresh air and nothing more than helpful.
    Maybe that's because I'm a new customer - it just WORKS for me
    I went the other way some years ago because NatWest were being a complete pain in the posterior.

Tried to set up my step daughter's HMRC self assessment account, that was a similar experience where they sent out four activation codes, none of which worked, because, once another code was sent, the previous one was barred. She started panicking with the threat of 31 January deadline and £100 fine, so I eventually I got through on their helpline and a very helpful gent extended the 31 January deadline for her by 14 days to allow for all of the codes to expire and one fresh, clean code to arrive. Which it did. And it worked.

Of course, with HMRC, you don't have the luxury of taking your business elsewhere (apart from the Cayman Islands or Atlantis perhaps).

And today's award goes to Microshaft.
    I was running a high grade Nokia phone, and when it came to upgrade time, I got its successor. Happy days.

Except the old one which worked flawlessly with the hands free functions on the radio was Windows 8, and the new one 10. Long story short, it won't work acceptably using Cortana, It's virtually impossible to disable Cortana on the new phone, I can't roll it back to 8, cos it never ran 8, and even if I somehow manage to hack it to euthanase the wretched woman, I'm told the next automatic update is likely to resurrect her.

Least worst answer? Subject to testing it with Jeanette's Galaxy, buy a £50 Android pay as you go phone, and live with it for eighteen months, until upgrade time rolls round. Progress, eh?
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Say what you like about the fruity variety of phone....they do (sometimes annoyingly) have a habit of doing what they're supposed to do

Say what you like about the fruity variety of phone....they do (sometimes annoyingly) have a habit of doing what they're supposed to do
    Yup that's probably true, even when it's something you don't want them to do

I dunno what my next 'smart' phone is gonna be exactly, but I know that whatever it is, it'll let me be its master & remove all the junk I don't want or need that wastes space

Never had any issues with mine, its amazing. I don't use it as a phone very often but for banking, telling the time and getting me places its spot on. I might upgrade to a 6+ soon as the sh prices must be good. Thats the trick with Apple, buy the stuff when all the 'must av dat' muppets get bored and the next model comes out. Very impressed with Samsung though. Especially the camera.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/