Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do we really believe our own hype?

But I own the www.premierweddingdisco.com domain!! (still under construction! I've been a bit lax lately!)

When I was doing my business plan, the only other Premier Wedding business I came up against was Chris (PPEnt's) Premier Wedding DJ. I spoke to Chris on the phone and he was happy for me to use the Premier Wedding Disco brand so I went with that. I did make a mistake, though, of setting up a temporary trial site before I secured the .co.uk name as, when I went to order it, some web dev chap had decided to buy the name ahead of me!! I've a feeling he had something to do with the free site company that I've used to set up the trial site. However, later I signed up a trial with 1&1 part of which was the web domain that was then available again. When my trial expired and 1&1 bumped their prices right up, I didn't continue with it. I might have a go with the .co.uk again if it becomes available. Then again, the .com may be enough for me as a single operator!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Elite DJ

elite  
    Elite Definition
    Dictionary.com

e·lite [ih-leet, ey-leet]
    noun
    ( often used with a plural verb ) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.
    ( used with a plural verb ) persons of the highest class: Only the elite were there.
    a group of persons exercising the major share of authority or influence within a larger group: the power elite of a major political party.
    a type, approximately 10-point in printing-type size, widely used in typewriters and having 12 characters to the inch. Compare pica1 .
    adjective
    representing the most choice or select; best: an elite group of authors.

YES!! I believe my own hype.

If anything, bands are even worse.

I don't think clients buy into it any way so there's no real harm in doing it but it is a bit naff if you're making all sorts of abstract claims.

I agree that it's all 'tosh' too.
    Some suppliers use these tag lines, make these statements etc but are there stats anywhere that prove what they're saying.
    "The Number 1 Disco in The South" etc.... Who decided that? Probably themselves.

we're getting off topic here already.

I wasn't commenting on companies who say 'we are the best' etc, more on ones that say stuff like 'making dreams come true' and the like.

I think "Your day, your way" is fast becoming a very popular term on many a site....
    Ian Truby
    www.ice-dj.co.uk
    www.ice-weddingdj.co.uk
    Bucks, Berks and Oxfordshire

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    we're getting off topic here already.

I wasn't commenting on companies who say 'we are the best' etc, more on ones that say stuff like 'making dreams come true' and the like.
    Yeah, apologies.
    I don't personally think there's anything wrong with a comment like "making your dreams come true" although it could appear a tad cheesy in some eyes.
    I have "We'll make your event special" on my banners which I guess is the same kind of thing although I don't see it as cheesy.

If you believe that you can make someone's dreams come true or make their event special by providing an excellent service then I don't see a problem with it.

It's marketing - and certain words have a subliminal effect so they get used more often, try describing a premium service without using words like 'quality, excellent' etc. you'll struggle to find alternative descriptions that evoke the same feeling.

Do they believe their own hype - the good ones do, and they try to live up to their claims and give excellent customer service, then there are the others who just copy phrases off other sites and that's as much buy-in they have to words they've used.

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    Itry describing a premium service without using words like 'quality, excellent' etc. you'll struggle to find alternative descriptions that evoke the same feeling.
    Fantabulant.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    Fantabulant.
    Clever - no one could accuse you of not delivering 'Fantabulousness' in a court of law!