Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does the light I want exist?

Default Does the light I want exist?

I have a pair of Source Jazz fixtures, which I bought for peanuts s/h on Ebay. I love them, and they go out when I need simpler effects than my pair of EFX 500s. Recently, one of them failed, and though I actually diagnosed the fault ( and the cure ) I wasn't confident enough to repair it myself, so had it fixed by Davesounds, as I had to see him about something else as well. It's always a pleasure to see him and his family, and Dave demonstrated various LED fixtures of varying brands, which though all impressive in their own way, weren't what I'm looking for.

Thing is, I'm not sure that what I'm looking for actually exists. What I'm after is virtually the LED equivalent of my beloved Vastos. Really, it's the LED equivalent of the Source Jazz, but I'll settle for close.

The perfect unit has gobos, rotating patterns, DMX linkability, LED light source, is small and light, and " inexpensive ". Fixtures of the size of Impossibleds are not acceptable.

If that doesn't exist, then I'll happily settle for one without gobos, but it must rotate, and be linkable somehow. I'm even contemplating that dinky little LED Double derby I saw a few months ago. ( If I could remember what it was called )

So, am I seeking the Holy Grail, or does anyone know of something which satisfies my criteria? Over to you folks, thanks.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    I have a pair of Source Jazz fixtures, which I bought for peanuts s/h on Ebay. I love them, and they go out when I need simpler effects than my pair of EFX 500s. Recently, one of them failed, and though I actually diagnosed the fault ( and the cure ) I wasn't confident enough to repair it myself, so had it fixed by Davesounds, as I had to see him about something else as well. It's always a pleasure to see him and his family, and Dave demonstrated various LED fixtures of varying brands, which though all impressive in their own way, weren't what I'm looking for.

Thing is, I'm not sure that what I'm looking for actually exists. What I'm after is virtually the LED equivalent of my beloved Vastos. Really, it's the LED equivalent of the Source Jazz, but I'll settle for close.

The perfect unit has gobos, rotating patterns, DMX linkability, LED light source, is small and light, and " inexpensive ". Fixtures of the size of Impossibleds are not acceptable.

If that doesn't exist, then I'll happily settle for one without gobos, but it must rotate, and be linkable somehow. I'm even contemplating that dinky little LED Double derby I saw a few months ago. ( If I could remember what it was called )

So, am I seeking the Holy Grail, or does anyone know of something which satisfies my criteria? Over to you folks, thanks.
    Chauvet mini kinta?
    www.mobiledjcumbria.co.uk

N.A.D.J Member

North East & Cumbria branch Founder member

Quote Originally Posted by deltic View Post
    Chauvet mini kinta?
    In my searches, I came across that one, and remembered it was the one I'd seen. It's a contender.

Were it not a tad large, and a tad expensive, I reckon the Acme Mirrage would be high on my list. It's impressed me every time I've seen it.
    Ah well, the search continues. Failing which, I hope I can keep the Sources going reliably.

There's a few 10/15w LED fixtures around with a mirror disc and a rotating gobo wheel, but while most of them are of comparable size to the Vasto's and even lighter, none of them are cheap (Chauvet Obsession, Acme Cougar, etc).

If you're not bothered about the DMX linkability then that reduces the cost somewhat and opens up other options?

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    There's a few 10/15w LED fixtures around with a mirror disc and a rotating gobo wheel, but while most of them are of comparable size to the Vasto's and even lighter, none of them are cheap (Chauvet Obsession, Acme Cougar, etc).

If you're not bothered about the DMX linkability then that reduces the cost somewhat and opens up other options?

Julian
    Both units you quoted are perfect in every respect, except price, sadly. While DMX isn't an absolute must have, some form of master/slave control is. From what you've said here, it seems my ideal fixture does exist, just not at a price I'm happy with. Ah well.

Give it time and the prices will come down as LED becomes the norm.

I vaguely remember seeing something like these units which are linkable in the same way the old Wildtech fixtures were (i.e. single mono 3.5mm jack to jack connection between the units so they used the same signal to trigger changes). I'll have to try and remember which unit it was...

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by deltic View Post
    Chauvet mini kinta?
    I have two of these and they are a great effect for the money, But both have gone faulty within the first six months,
    They do come with a 2 yr warranty but it is still a hassle!!

Quote Originally Posted by sweetie View Post
    Excellent price there, thank you. However, I fear you have not yet fully grasped the full meaning assigned to my phrases concerning fiscal prudence.

Let's just say that even from the site you gave, they don't qualify as " Inexpensive" in my book.

( Apart from the oputstandingly ugly case though, they meet my requirements in every respect, save price. They seem to be just what the Doctor ordered. )

Quote Originally Posted by djdj View Post
    I have two of these and they are a great effect for the money, But both have gone faulty within the first six months,
    They do come with a 2 yr warranty but it is still a hassle!!
    Now you tell me. I've had two of these for a month now. So far so good. I use one for my smaller enue and double up as master/slave when in the big room.