Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: RGB LED Strip/Tape used for Truss lighting

Default RGB LED Strip/Tape used for Truss lighting

Hi thought I'd share this with you guys. I have just purchased some RGB led strip from eBay for lighting up my truss. I wanted a more uniform distribution of light rather than just lightingthe truss from one end. The strip is about 10mm wide with 3M double sided tape on the back, 5v and has 30LEDs/meter, it is also has a bead of ultra clear silicon to protect from water which works very well.
    It comes in 5m rolls at about £30 which also includes a remote control and controller which allows you to do various fades, strobes or set static colours. The strip itself and be cut at 3cm intervals
    I placed the strip in a 2 length of C section aluminium extrusion (B&Q) which fits nicely into my Prolyte, Shoplite 3 truss.
    Although it came with the controller and remote I wanted to have DMX to opted for a DMX 512 decoder at £18 from ebay, which itself can be set to standalone fades and static colours. I have

I will post the pictures below as I'm writing this on my laptop and my photos are on the phone!

I have to say I'm very impressed with the outcome

(50)

Name:  IMG_20130703_225944.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  29.0 KB

Ok so its not the most exciting video! but it was late Tuesday night in the garden after alor lot of soldering!

The Truss 2m Shoplite 3 which forms my "goal post" truss, each section will have an led strip in it and all can be linked back to 1 controller, or its own if required.

I was thinking that it may be possible to use the LED strip to create your own up lighters by laying the strips of whatever length at the side of each other! Using a LIPO radio controller battery you could make these portable.
    Next project perphaps..........!

(52)
    Last edited by Corabar Entertainment; 05-07-2013 at 09:59 AM. Reason: merged 3 consecutive posts together

Thanks for that. I've been wondering about them.

(PS: I've tidied up and merged your posts for you.)

Thanks I've had to keep chopping and changing between phone laptop and PC!.........long story

Very nice, admittedly a lot more more than shoving a light in the bottom but seems to be a nicer effect.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Thanks, I'm hoping to fasten them inside the truss with velco as they are very lightweight.

Velcro straps are one of my favorite things, can't imagine how I got on with all my cables before!

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

That's a really nice effect.
    Can you post some links to the various components.

Thanks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]www.super-sonic.eu

If you are going to do alot of truss with these then you are best going direct to china for it. www.aliexpress.com

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hot-s...743140498.html

Would be ideal. The LEDs in those are the all in one and not 3 separate ones close together so a better colour mix. Find your self a nice DMX PWM controller from there too. If you need a high amp PSU for them then an old computer PSU would supply plenty of juice! I have one here 28A at 5V. Although you may wish to dim them they are very bright! Some resistors in series with the strips would do for a permanent solution. (just make sure that you have the right wattage. Someone smell smoke? )

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/27-ch...431020707.html

Could be a controller for multiple strings. You could have say three strips in series per block for multiple "zones".

For those who can make PCBs:

http://www.mathertel.de/Arduino/DMXSpot.aspx
    Last edited by Jiggles; 12-08-2013 at 01:54 AM.

I have some sticky velcro you can have to finish the project