Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Answering a request for a reduced price - what would you do ?

Default Answering a request for a reduced price - what would you do ?

I have an email which does ask quite a common question – discount ??

I don’t really want a full blown pricing thread but rather, what would you have answered ?? I have already answered and gained the booking so this thread is more out of interest as to how others would reply. I will post my reply in a few days.

Background of the booking :
    July next year
    New but very much an upcoming venue, who recommend me as does the recommended caterers and photographer
    They have met with a number of DJ’s
    All day services from 3pm-midnight to include Ceremony Music, Aternoon Music and casual MC as well as the evening disco

I met with the couple yesterday, gave my usual talk etc and quoted a price. I received an email today asking for a £45 reduction on the price which would be exactly what they had budgeted for. The bride did make me aware that another very reputable local DJ was quoting the same price including uplighting, however she did not want uplighting and found him too pushy, hence not going with him.

If it makes any difference, my quote was £945 and she asked for a £45 reduction on this to match her budget.

So how would you have replied to this request for a reduction ??
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

It all depends on if you can make a profit, that you're happy with, out of the remaining £900. What does it equate to? A 5% reduction? And what is the likelihood of you filling the date with another gig for £945 if the client walks away from the booking?

Once you've answered these questions, it will make it much easier to decide how you should reply.

But, if you're wanting a "What would you do?" answer, then I'd probably agree to the discount (my profit margin is a lot higher than 5%, after all!) but I'd word it so they know I'm doing them a big favour. Something along the lines of:

"It's not my usual policy to reduce the fees I charge as they have been carefully assessed and costed to provide the perfect balance of quality of service with value for money. However, I want you to be able to have your big day the way you want it and that includes you having the very best entertainment service at a price that meets your budget. Therefore, I am happy to let you know that, on this occasion, and for you only, I am willing to meet your budget and agree to providing you with the services booked for £900. I'm sure you'll agree that this is a very generous gesture on my behalf and I look forward to being of service to you on your big day."

That's the way I'd do it - but I don't get many £900+ bookings!

EDIT:
    Just re-read your post, Chris, and realised you've already answered and got the booking (didn't sink in first time around!). So I'd be interested to hear just how you did reply!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    It all depends on if you can make a profit, that you're happy with, out of the remaining £900. What does it equate to? A 5% reduction? And what is the likelihood of you filling the date with another gig for £945 if the client walks away from the booking?

Once you've answered these questions, it will make it much easier to decide how you should reply.

But, if you're wanting a "What would you do?" answer, then I'd probably agree to the discount (my profit margin is a lot higher than 5%, after all!) but I'd word it so they know I'm doing them a big favour. Something along the lines of:

"It's not my usual policy to reduce the fees I charge as they have been carefully assessed and costed to provide the perfect balance of quality of service with value for money. However, I want you to be able to have your big day the way you want it and that includes you having the very best entertainment service at a price that meets your budget. Therefore, I am happy to let you know that, on this occasion, and for you only, I am willing to meet your budget and agree to providing you with the services booked for £900. I'm sure you'll agree that this is a very generous gesture on my behalf and I look forward to being of service to you on your big day."

That's the way I'd do it - but I don't get many £900+ bookings!

EDIT:
    Just re-read your post, Chris, and realised you've already answered and got the booking (didn't sink in first time around!). So I'd be interested to hear just how you did reply!

What he said.

Unless you've got all day gigs paying like that coming in left right and centre then it's better to take a £45 hit to gain £900 rather than dig your heels and lose the whole lot.

It's a tough one but I'm much more willing to budge on price when it is a high paying all day gig. For standard evening ones there's no leeway at all as I'm priced fairly and it doesn't make any financial sense from my end to drop my price.

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    EDIT:
    I will leave this thread running to allow replies for a few days then reveal my reply.

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    I will leave this thread running to allow replies for a few days then reveal my reply.
    1) Bog off
    2) Yes of course I can reduce the price, but that means I shan't be bringing a PA.
    3) When I've googled the meaning of the word discount, I'll get back to you.
    4)Please do not ask for a price reduction, as we have found that a smack in the gob often offends.

Be honest, one of those has to be right.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

£900 for a disco, background music, mc'ing, etc is truly truly remarkable, well done.

I would be inclined to go for that level of discount for an all day especially if I
    knew the venue and was happy with it all as it makes things very easy. Go for it.

i would probably not even counter offer with a free service especially if they have met with lots of other DJ's.

Get it all signed up if I were you as £45 is not much off of £945. Beats sitting at home if you dont get booked.

Quote Originally Posted by par6 View Post
    £900 for a disco, background music, mc'ing, etc is truly truly remarkable, well done.
    Its a bit more than that as he is also the MC which takes lots of pre prep and work on the day.
    No chance to eat sandwiches behind the decks as all manner of things happen that you are responsible for.

I must say I did an all day where they had a toastmaster the other day and I was bored out of my brain!!
    I literally had nothing to do all day and did not feel the clients £1000 investment was being utilised properly!!
    Last edited by yourdj; 12-07-2013 at 11:23 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Discount or not I bet they have booked.......
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    Discount or not I bet they have booked.......
    My initial thoughts, would I lose the booking or not

To add another question into this - the discount was 5% (give or take), would asking for this discount make any difference if it was on an all-day booking or just the evening ??

Seems a reasonable negotiation to me. I would have agreed and therefore much pleased them and that would strengthen the relationship.