Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many songs would you download for a client?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryu View Post
    Its rare to download more than 10 or so for a gig, but, in principle, I'd happily download more than that. Whilst there will inevitably be 1 or 2 tracks I'd never play again, I see it as a business investment to expand my library where possible.
    Well done that man. Amen. At last, someone who understands that we're a service industry. I have on occasion downloaded two or three albums plus a lot of single tracks. I'm crying as I click the "buy now " button, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    Isn't that illegal
    Not if they are original CDs Toby.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    I advise the client that they can provide a list of around 20 "must plays". Those are ones that I'll guarantee to play [dependant on being able to source them legally]. So I know that I'll only ever have to purchase 20 songs at most per event. I do accept bigger lists, but only guarantee the first 20, the rest are just a guideline. If there's anything else in the extended list that I think might work I'll cherry pick the best and include them if I think they'll slot in nicely throughout the evening.
    I completely agree with this approach.

See, there are two implications of a large playlist from the client. The first is the obvious dent into your profit margin. OK, it might not be a huge amount, but look at it another way - are you discounting clients who don't make any advance requests?

The second implication is that these advance requests are very likely to be personal favourites of the clients, and will most likely receive a lukewarm reception from the rest of the guests. OK, yes the client is the paying customer, it's a service industry and so on... but the bottom line is that most people at there will just think that you're a rubbish DJ.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerFunk View Post
    I completely agree with this approach.

See, there are two implications of a large playlist from the client. The first is the obvious dent into your profit margin. OK, it might not be a huge amount, but look at it another way - are you discounting clients who don't make any advance requests?

The second implication is that these advance requests are very likely to be personal favourites of the clients, and will most likely receive a lukewarm reception from the rest of the guests. OK, yes the client is the paying customer, it's a service industry and so on... but the bottom line is that most people at there will just think that you're a rubbish DJ.
    I don't think the second implication in this case is relevant. Ensuring you have all the tracks requested and deciding to play them on the night are two different things.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Not if they are original CDs Toby.
    Ah did not know that. I would imagine that most clients would use a pen drive these days?
    I suppose if your still on CD's then they may burn one which wold not be the original.
    It would not be very easy having 20-30 CD's and having to play a track from each.

As we are talking left field music so the possibilities that the main party tracks are all on one original CD is remote.

I suppose thats very useful if its not available for the odd track (especially for ceremony music etc).
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Wedding last Wednesday....long list of mostly Spanish/Latin American music..... all bought without a second thought. The crowd were half from Equador and half NI.... but everyone was dancing to the Spanish music.

The way I see it, if the client pays top dollar for a service, that's the service they get..... no ifs buts or maybes.... what they want they get.
    Sandy

Blonde, dizzy and no longer available
    www.sandysounds.co.uk
    www.sandysoundsweddingdisco.com