Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another Windows 8 discussion

Quote Originally Posted by djeddie View Post
    I've got Win8 and surprisingly been very happy with it... ever since I installed "classicshell".
    Absolutely flies along though. It has genuinely surprised me. Maybe I'm just the lucky one!
    Any specifics? What are the good and bad points about it?

I know nothing about it at all other than

"It's totally different" (but no-one says in what way other than it doesn't have a start button!)

Cheers.

Specifics? It's kind of hard to narrow it down really!

The lack of start button is the main problem and trying to find the shut down / restart menu(!), but classicshell gives you all of that back.

If you've been through the various, or any, incarnations of Windows (95, 98, XP, Vista, 7 etc etc) then you'll instinctively be at home with it. Even the "tiles" bit becomes quite obvious after just a few minutes. Mind you I don't use the tiles thing anymore. Mine runs everything I want, including some Visual Basic programs I did years ago, which apparently shouldn't work, but they do.

Everything seems to be true Plug and Play rather than previous versions of Windows when it was more like Plug and Around For Hours! Network things were found instantly, including my NAS drive, network printer and both MacBooks... and it talks to all of them!

Like I said, it has surprised me as all the other info I see on the 'net says how bad it is. I'm seriously thinking of sending an email to Microsoft to see if I win a prize or something!

Sorry I can't be any more help than that, but it just seems to work. Which, I suppose, is how it's meant to be.

(BTW, mine was a home-build desktop PC with Windows 8 Pro installed by myself, so no added on manufacturer garbage, bloatware and the like).
    Last edited by Excalibur; 29-07-2013 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Fixing censor avoidance.