Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Website review - opinions gratefully received

Default Website review - opinions gratefully received

Hi there MDD

After 2 years of not even looking at my website, I rather think it may be time to review and or make some changes. This is primarily due to the significant downturn in business, but I am fully aware that this is probably due to me not getting my arse in gear in terms of marketing - and I totally blame myself!!!!

Anyway a complete review of my business model is required and to start with is my website, so I would be keen to hear to your thoughts on this as to what you guys think and what I need to change in your opinion if anything at all???

Over to you - all comments good and bad gratefully recieved

Www.disco-magic.co.uk

Thanks to all:-)

Mod note: Funnily enough, the word "Arse" does not upset the Forum Censor Software. Breaking the rules by substituting symbols for letters to get round the censor ( even when not actually needed ) does upset this Moderator. Thank you, Excalibur.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 29-07-2013 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Fixing censor avoidance.
    Ralph @ Disco Magic
    www.disco-magic.co.uk
    www.toastmasterinsurrey.co.uk

"Creating Magical Memories and Exceptional Events"

Hi mate, my pet hate is music or narration on websites. It's a big turn off for many especially for clients who are secretly planning a surprise birthday and suddenly without warning there's a voice blubbering on about discos.

Also the image on the front page gives the impression that you offer a full night club experience?? Is that your set up??

Also had a quick look at the pricing page. The choice of words could be better thought out. "standard Wedding Reception Disco" I don't think the potential bride thinks of her wedding as standard. I know it's taken out of context but that's how it looks.

I didn't look any further - but I would suggest only using your own images and having a few friends looking at the wording. Imagine if you were looking for a DJ for your event, what would you be looking for?

The overall layout is fine, just needs tweaking. Also check your spelling as there are mistakes and 404's on your external links.

Get rid of the annoying narration. It is costing you!
    Last edited by Andy Collins; 29-07-2013 at 12:26 PM.

Good

- Bullet points on homepage
    - I like the font for "Disco Magic"

Bad

- Cannot find a way to turn off sound
    - Black and white/ gray text seems a bit boring also it's less comfortable to read.
    - Font, Times New Roman? I personally find the font a bit too formal.
    - Photo isn't very helpful or descriptive, most people will be looking for a mobile disco and not a nightclub DJ who visit your site.
    - No Pictures of your setup / events you've done??

Overall it doesn't ring out to me "£450 wedding DJ", my opinion is that If you're charging that much you should raise your image to fit in.
    Not meaning to be horrible but judging on your website I'd assume you'd charge more like £150. That being said a lot of people charge good money and have websites that don't match up to their true value.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Collins View Post
    Hi mate, my pet hate is music or narration on websites. It's a big turn off for many especially for clients who are secretly planning a surprise birthday and suddenly without warning there's a voice blubbering on about discos.

A lot of other DJ's have said this, and looking at it again today, I have to admit - it does look pretty naff! Its coming off!

Also the image on the front page gives the impression that you offer a full night club experience?? Is that your set up??

No its not and I agree! I am going to have to totally change, but it will prove challenging as I don't have any particularly good pics - I'm a DJ not a photographer

Also had a quick look at the pricing page. The choice of words could be better thought out. "standard Wedding Reception Disco" I don't think the potential bride thinks of her wedding as standard. I know it's taken out of context but that's how it looks.

No I get what what you mean!!! A wedding for a bride is special and certainly not Standard.

I didn't look any further - but I would suggest only using your own images and having a few friends looking at the wording. Imagine if you were looking for a DJ for your event, what would you be looking for?

It's already on facebook for my friends to review - good idea!

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    Good

- Bullet points on homepage
    - I like the font for "Disco Magic"

Bad

- Cannot find a way to turn off sound - I'm taking it off!
    - Black and white/ gray text seems a bit boring also it's less comfortable to read.
    - Font, Times New Roman? I personally find the font a bit too formal. - I will certainly have a look this, but my brand colours are black background - so I might need to look at the bigger picture and change my branding???
    - Photo isn't very helpful or descriptive, most people will be looking for a mobile disco and not a nightclub DJ who visit your site.
    - No Pictures of your setup / events you've done?? - I need to look at the whole pictures thing throughout the website

Overall it doesn't ring out to me "£450 wedding DJ", my opinion is that If you're charging that much you should raise your image to fit in.
    Not meaning to be horrible but judging on your website I'd assume you'd charge more like £150. That being said a lot of people charge good money and have websites that don't match up to their true value.

Mmmm I understand what you mean, but putting translating the thoughts into a£450 website might be more challanging than it sounds! Although I looking at reducing my fee down to £295 , but lets not start this into a price discussion
    Thanks guys for your assistance and thoughts... anyone else???????
    Ralph @ Disco Magic
    www.disco-magic.co.uk

I agree with points raised already, I think you really must get some pictures of your setup and yourself in action asap. With todays smartphones and digital cameras, its not hard to get good pictures. Just make sure the flash is off for dancing pictures
    Maidstone Based Professional Disco
    www.lasersounds.co.uk

It's like baked beans -

If you've never had baked beans before but you're having a baked beans party with your friends would you buy tesco value baked beans or Heinz?

I personally cannot taste the difference between the two, but I bet most people would choose the safe choice - Heinz.

If you want to charge Heinz prices for the same beans you need to make a nice label!

EDIT - I should probably say that what I mean is you might need to spend a lot of time or money if you wish to keep charging a premium price.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Is there traffic going to your site? Do you run stats to see how many visits, what search terms, what pages are viewed, comparisons to previous years etc. A significant downturn in business may indicate more than just the content needing tweaking - people have to be able to find it in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    It's like baked beans -

If you've never had baked beans before but you're having a baked beans party with your friends would you buy tesco value baked beans or Heinz?

I personally cannot taste the difference between the two, but I bet most people would choose the safe choice - Heinz.

If you want to charge Heinz prices for the same beans you need to make a nice label!

EDIT - I should probably say that what I mean is you might need to spend a lot of time or money if you wish to keep charging a premium price.

I love LOVE LOVE that analogy Simplistic view easy to understand - I totally get it !

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    Is there traffic going to your site? Do you run stats to see how many visits, what search terms, what pages are viewed, comparisons to previous years etc. A significant downturn in business may indicate more than just the content needing tweaking - people have to be able to find it in the first place.
    Funny you should say that, Funkymook. A friend of mine on F/B has just that the site wasn't easily found under google or yell. But then that then begs the question what is the search string that people will use?
    Ralph @ Disco Magic
    www.disco-magic.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoMagic View Post
    Funny you should say that, Funkymook. A friend of mine on F/B has just that the site wasn't easily found under google or yell. But then that then begs the question what is the search string that people will use?
    And that's what SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) is all about! It's beyond me to be honest, and I'd say if you have to ask the question then it's probably best to get a professional on the case, the whole success of the site hinges on it.

For the cost of one or two gigs you can have a professionally built, optimised and maintained website - they really do pay for themselves.

I'm sure some others can recommend who they use - there's so many companies out there that personal recommendation is the best way of finding a good one.