Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Is this any good for Dj'ing

Default Is this any good for Dj'ing

Hi i have just purchased a Samsung PDC 750GB 6GB 17inch notebook and was wondering if these are any good for DJing?

I have been using CD`s for the last 10 years and i have recently retired from being a Mobile DJ however a local venue has hired me as their resident DJ and i have all my gear set up in a booth they have made just for me.

I really have no idea about DJing with a laptop apart from a few minutes on the free trial of Virtual DJ but a fellow DJ i shared a gig with a few weeks ago came along with his laptop and a Traktor controller and connected it to my mixer and did an hours set and made it look so much easier than what i was doing!

I have been reading threads on this forum and many seem to like the DJ2GO so do i just connect this to my laptop and do i need a soundcard?

All help and advice will be much appreciated

Matt

Hey buddy

Having looked at the Samsung, it would appear that this would be standard home Laptop. Great! The problem with computers and especially this £350 bracket is that you usually get what you pay for and it isn't too long before problems start occurring, the thing starts slowing down, or worst still crashing. This is fine if you are at home browsing, but imagine your half way through a track, the dance floor is full and then suddenly silence. Not Good.

Generally speaking, those of us that do digital DJing use much more expensive and better quality Laptops, sometimes with solid state hard drives. My MacBook Pro cost me circa £1200, and I always take another Macbook with me just in case.

The DJ2GO is a fairly simplistic bit of kit, and you might find the limitations frustrating after a while. The best thing to do is to google and youtube the device and make up your own mind on this...

I suppose it all depends on how much you want to spend on your kit, and how strict the venue is should something go wrong. If you do stick with Samsung, then use it ONLY for music and DJing only. Don't fill it with crappy games and programs and be very careful where you surf on the net, as all these things will have a massive impact on the productivity of the machine.

Hope this helps
    Ralph @ Disco Magic
    www.disco-magic.co.uk
    www.toastmasterinsurrey.co.uk

"Creating Magical Memories and Exceptional Events"

Cheers DiscoMagic
    I have my Twin cd deck already installed in the DJ booth at the venue so if anything does go wrong i will have back up, im only going to be using the laptop to DJ with so its not going to be used for any other purpose and the Venue im resident in will get no more than 40 gigs per year so its not going to be used that much really

Quote Originally Posted by matt the cat View Post

I have been reading threads on this forum and many seem to like the DJ2GO so do i just connect this to my laptop and do i need a soundcard?
    Yes, and yes. You will need the full Pro version of VDJ for best results, and suitable soundcards are ESI Maya or UDJ6. Numark DJIO is a well regarded budget option.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoMagic View Post
    Hey buddy

Having looked at the Samsung, it would appear that this would be standard home Laptop. Great! The problem with computers and especially this £350 bracket is that you usually get what you pay for and it isn't too long before problems start occurring, the thing starts slowing down, or worst still crashing.
    Harsh, because:
    Quote Originally Posted by matt the cat View Post
    im only going to be using the laptop to DJ with so its not going to be used for any other purpose
    Young Twinspin has stripped down my Acer, which is six years old, and low spec. It now beats the living daylights out of my Toshiba doing the same job. Get the laptop optimised, and you're more than halfway there.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

My two main DJing laptops are both sub £400 HP CQ-56s. I've had the first one for 3 years and it hasn't started to slow down or perform badly. In fact, it's never let me down once. It runs W7 and plays VDJ without any problems at all. As Peter says, it's not about the machine itself but more of how you set it up. It's it's got all sorts of junk on then it isn't going to perform at it's best. If it's optimised for DJing then you stand a far better chance of not experiencing any problems providing your machine beats the minimum spec for any software or hardware you are using with it.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Hey I get what what is saying here guys, and only speaking from my limited experience, but then I do tend to ill-use my PC computers!

That said it sounds like you've got something you can really use there Matt.
    Ralph @ Disco Magic
    www.disco-magic.co.uk
    www.toastmasterinsurrey.co.uk

"Creating Magical Memories and Exceptional Events"