Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Not mentioning VAT in prices?

Default Not mentioning VAT in prices?

Just had my PAT testing done by a rather rubbish company who needed to be chased up to provide an invoice and to my surprise they've added VAT to the price they quoted .

Their website says - "Fixed prices for 2013"
    Yet my invoice has 20% VAT added on and there is no mention the prices excluded VAT! Is this legal?

I'm only talking a few quid they've added on because of VAT but I'm finding it hard to believe they can do this without warning.

I know places like Macro and similar business do quote the before VAT prices as they know a lot of businesses will claim the VAT back but they always state "exc VAT" under the prices.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    Just had my PAT testing done by a rather rubbish company who needed to be chased up to provide an invoice and to my surprise they've added VAT to the price they quoted .

Their website says - "Fixed prices for 2013"
    Yet my invoice has 20% VAT added on and there is no mention the prices excluded VAT! Is this legal?

I'm only talking a few quid they've added on because of VAT but I'm finding it hard to believe they can do this without warning.

I know places like Macro and similar business do quote the before VAT prices as they know a lot of businesses will claim the VAT back but they always state "exc VAT" under the prices.
    Places like Makro are ex VAT as they are supposed to be a trade centre.

If you are a business to business supplier than you can and most people do quote ex VAT. It is also illegal to quote a price to a consumer/non trade ex VAT, their price has to be including VAT.

The assumption is that most businesses are VAT registered, so all you are doing is collecting the VAT and paying it to revue and customs and then claiming it back.

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    It's fine - they can quote prices before VAT when dealing business to business (which this transaction is)

It's when dealing with consumers that you must include VAT in the price they are quoted.

It's B2B. You're not classed a consumer. B2B prices should be ex-VAT with it added on at the last minute.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    It's B2B. You're not classed a consumer. B2B prices should be ex-VAT with it added on at the last minute.
    I don't think you've phrased that the way you intended it to read.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk