Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bridging tops

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    I did wonder about that - the blurb on their website says something about being able to take 2kw each though. Their salesy data sheet says 1-2kw as well.

It did strike me as having incredibly high nominal power handling capability. Where's the manual to?

Julian
    this is the one I found.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

You can drive them with as much wattage as you like. If you have the nexo controller set up correctly, they won't blow. The controller has sense lines attached to the speaker output terminals on the amp.

They say the nexos like a lot of power to make them truly sing.
    long live lightboxes..........lots of em!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Javlingames View Post
    You can drive them with as much wattage as you like. If you have the nexo controller set up correctly, they won't blow. The controller has sense lines attached to the speaker output terminals on the amp.
    I hadn't come across the controller bit yet. Clever idea, DSP to optimise the sound for the cabs, active crossover and protection, all in one box.

They told me that about the JBL's I bought as well. Personally I always thought that more power just made them shout or scream, rather than sing, but then the JBL's were £400 a pair, not £4k!

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    But then they wouldn't be stereo, would they?
    No, they'd be a left hand mono channel with the whole track playing & a right hand mono channel with the whole track playing SMARTARSE!

My point was a mono track would not have vocals on one channel & music on the other. (It would also be quite unusual for a stereo track to do that)
    Last edited by Corabar Steve; 02-08-2013 at 07:22 AM.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

So let me get this right. You've got an amp and cabs which appear to be perfectly matched as they are, you want to couple them up so that you get maximum power into the management system which then throttles it back so that the cabs get roughly what they were getting in the first place, and your amp runs into a two ohm load per channel, thus ensuring its fans get a really good workout to disipate the heat produced?

Leave well alone would be my advice. I don't expect you to find any noticeable improvement in volume, sound quality or definition, and I do expect you to find problems with heat. How much more volume do you need out of cabs which can produce 136Db or so?
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    So let me get this right. You've got an amp and cabs which appear to be perfectly matched as they are, you want to couple them up so that you get maximum power into the management system which then throttles it back so that the cabs get roughly what they were getting in the first place, and your amp runs into a two ohm load per channel, thus ensuring its fans get a really good workout to disipate the heat produced?

Leave well alone would be my advice. I don't expect you to find any noticeable improvement in volume, sound quality or definition, and I do expect you to find problems with heat. How much more volume do you need out of cabs which can produce 136Db or so?
    Yes Nexo recommend 600 to 1200 watts (I think) so at 8 ohms they are getting 700 watts on my amp, which is fine. Im happy. But if my sound was improved by bridging and getting extra power to the tops I would consider it. Bridging is just an idea at this point .

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    I hadn't come across the controller bit yet. Clever idea, DSP to optimise the sound for the cabs, active crossover and protection, all in one box.

They told me that about the JBL's I bought as well. Personally I always thought that more power just made them shout or scream, rather than sing, but then the JBL's were £400 a pair, not £4k!

Julian
    JBLS's are a bit shouty. The controllers are very clever pieces of kit. You just turn your amps right up and the controller does the rest. Pretty pricey stuff but I do go for 2nd hand gear, especialy nexo. £4k for a mobile disco is a bit OTT .

Although you could do it I think it would be a mistake as you have a high chance to blowing the amplifer. 4ohm as a load for a bridged amp is the same as a normal amp running at 2ohm. Some can do it but it puts a lot so stress on the components. I used to have two crown amps that I used for the bass bins and had the same idea 1300W bridged mode. One night 1 amp went dead, a couple of weeks later on a single night I lost both bass amps. In a space of 3 weeks I had lost 3 amps. During the last 10 years I have only lost one other amp. I now keep all the amps running at a min of 4ohm load and not bridged.

Quote Originally Posted by addoaddo View Post
    Although you could do it I think it would be a mistake as you have a high chance to blowing the amplifer. 4ohm as a load for a bridged amp is the same as a normal amp running at 2ohm. Some can do it but it puts a lot so stress on the components. I used to have two crown amps that I used for the bass bins and had the same idea 1300W bridged mode. One night 1 amp went dead, a couple of weeks later on a single night I lost both bass amps. In a space of 3 weeks I had lost 3 amps. During the last 10 years I have only lost one other amp. I now keep all the amps running at a min of 4ohm load and not bridged.
    Yes I have heard that amps don't really like it, think I will just keep it simple. Sound like the best option is to add another 2 tops bringing it down to 4 ohms. Don't think I will need 2 more , especially with these babies