Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Human Ipod

If you had a playlist from the bride I would have politely told her to go and have some fun as its the brides playlist.

Girls can be a real nightmare and I am very polite until they start becoming a nusance or rude. kids can be the worst as they want thier track NOW.
    A lot of the time its the lyrics and not the danceability of the track that they like, so what they listen too in the car may not translate to a dancefloor.

I would have:

1: Been very firm, but nice with her and told her to go away and think of a few tracks for her and her friends.

2: perhaps not even be that friendly if she starts to be a pain. if you have a busy dancfloor then you can get away with that. I would say, sorry but I have to concentrate on my job. i have had pain in the but guests totally distract me to the point when the track has run out and I have nothing lined up. Only last week that happened and I totally lost my rag with her, in a nice way however and I never saw her until the end, where she was fine with me.

2: perhaps even stopped a song half way and read her name out whilst playing the new track. This works wonders on a busy dance floor, with someone insisting "it will get everyone dancing" the song goes on, everyone sits down and she is then left there on her own. I have done that on a number of occasions with rude guests and it has never failed or backfired (ie they come back and have a go at you) as they know its totally their fault.

4: got the bride or groom to intervene. Last case scenario but if the floor is busy and they are dancing then i may have got one of the wedding paty to distract her or tell her off perhaps?? There is always a sensible normal bridesmaid. They are often a good bet!!

All of these options have worked in the past, but I am usually just really nice and honest to people and tell them that it may not work.
    If they are adamant that it will then use step 2 but at the end of the song playing. an example may be "the bare necessities" or something leftfield like that? I have suprised myself at times as it has all kicked off and they the give me the smug "I told you so look" LOL. Thats fine by me as the guests are all still dancing!!
    Last edited by yourdj; 05-08-2013 at 08:12 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    If you had a playlist from the bride I would have politely told her to go and have some fun as its the brides playlist.

Girls can be a real nightmare and I am very polite until they start becoming a nusance or rude. kids can be the worst as they want thier track NOW.
    A lot of the time its the lyrics and not the danceability of the track that they like, so what they listen too in the car may not translate to a dancefloor.

I would have:

1: Been very firm, but nice with her and told her to go away and think of a few tracks for her and her friends.

2: perhaps not even be that friendly if she starts to be a pain. if you have a busy dancfloor then you can get away with that. I would say, sorry but I have to concentrate on my job. i have had pain in the but guests totally distract me to the point when the track has run out and I have nothing lined up. Only last week that happened and I totally lost my rag with her, in a nice way however and I never saw her until the end, where she was fine with me.

2: perhaps even stopped a song half way and read her name out whilst playing the new track. This works wonders on a busy dance floor, with someone insisting "it will get everyone dancing" the song goes on, everyone sits down and she is then left there on her own. I have done that on a number of occasions with rude guests and it has never failed or backfired (ie they come back and have a go at you) as they know its totally their fault.

4: got the bride or groom to intervene. Last case scenario but if the floor is busy and they are dancing then i may have got one of the wedding paty to distract her or tell her off perhaps?? There is always a sensible normal bridesmaid. They are often a good bet!!

All of these options have worked in the past, but I am usually just really nice and honest to people and tell them that it may not work.
    If they are adamant that it will then use step 2 but at the end of the song playing. an example may be "the bare necessities" or something leftfield like that? I have suprised myself at times as it has all kicked off and they the give me the smug "I told you so look" LOL. Thats fine by me as the guests are all still dancing!!
    Great bit of advice.

A lot of it is less about being "the big guy" and sticking up for yourself and more about diverting the problem and getting them on your side.

They may be absolutely nuts but you need to listen to them, DON'T SAY "NO" - offer alternatives - share some knowledge ask them what other music they like. It may not suit everybody but I like to entertain these people by talking to them, making what your saying a bit of an act "how could you possibly not like Micheal Jackson?", is it just this song? Make conversation ask what music they like ... compliment them on there music taste (if it's good) or it's it's quite bad or cheesy make a joke about it.

I think it's quite harsh to suggest that somebody shouldn't be in the game if they're having problems with these people, I'm not a confrontational person and I find these situations very uncomfortable.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    Great bit of advice.

A lot of it is less about being "the big guy" and sticking up for yourself and more about diverting the problem and getting them on your side.

They may be absolutely nuts but you need to listen to them, DON'T SAY "NO" - offer alternatives - share some knowledge ask them what other music they like. It may not suit everybody but I like to entertain these people by talking to them, making what your saying a bit of an act "how could you possibly not like Micheal Jackson?", is it just this song? Make conversation ask what music they like ... compliment them on there music taste (if it's good) or it's it's quite bad or cheesy make a joke about it.

I think it's quite harsh to suggest that somebody shouldn't be in the game if they're having problems with these people, I'm not a confrontational person and I find these situations very uncomfortable.
    Cheers.

NO does work at times and is often the only option. i am a very friendly and helpful guy,
    who is not scared of testing musical boundaries, but i know when to draw the line.

This is worst case scenario when pining to someones needs in varying ways clearly will never work and they will not leave the booth for what ever reason it may be. It usually a lack of self confidence, a complete lack of understanding of anyone elses needs or just plain stupidity and or lack of social skills. Or they are blind drunk and have no idea whats going on.

it the sort of person that is not happy with anything you put on and when asked what they want they
    don't even know and hover over you looking at a list of 20 tracks out of 10,000.
    Its the kind of person who complains about a track they have chosen or comes up and asks you to play the track thats playing LOL.

Happens perhaps 5 times a year if that.

Usually during the Christmas party period when people who do not often leave the house go out for a one off party.
    Wedding guests are normally OK. Only hassle I have had have been in upperclass Marquee gigs or private residences.
    If you dont take control of the situation they will walk all over you and it can even lead to violence of damage of your kit!!
    Last edited by yourdj; 06-08-2013 at 11:29 AM.

i am a very friendly and helpful guy who is not scared of testing musical boundaries....
    What boundaries? Either you're playing music that suits your audience or you're not.

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    What boundaries? Either you're playing music that suits your audience or you're not.
    Boundaries as in - If someone asks for something that may not necessarily be in keeping with the music that may "suit" the audience.
    Having said that its very easy to judge a crowd and not get it 100% right. I did a 70th the other day and they just wanted chart music.

I dont think you can get it spot on for all of the guests - all the time especially in a wedding?
    You can only keep a happy medium, unless some other form of goings on assists the situation (like a circle dance off) or it is "the anthem" for them.

Someone asking for dubstep at a Masonic dinner dance for example and is adamant that it will get everyone on the floor and will not give up until that track is played. you are then in the predicament of shrugging it off by promising to play it and not play it (in which case they will not have it), trying to explain that it may not work, refering to the party organiser, playing the track or perhaps saying no.

Dependent on the situation I would normally play the track and name the person who asked for it, assuming it is not completely out of "suit for the audience". Swearing and heavy music (skrillex etc.) would be a good example.
    Last edited by yourdj; 06-08-2013 at 12:28 PM.

Reminds me of all of those tracks that I just don't happen to have with me that night.

Boundaries as in - If someone asks for something that may not necessarily be in keeping with the music that may "suit" the audience.
    Having said that its very easy to judge a crowd and not get it 100% right. I did a 70th the other day and they just wanted chart music.

I dont think you can get it spot on for all of the guests - all the time especially in a wedding?
    You can only keep a happy medium, unless some other form of goings on assists the situation (like a circle dance off) or it is "the anthem" for them.

Someone asking for dubstep at a Masonic dinner dance for example and is adamant that it will get everyone on the floor and will not give up until that track is played. you are then in the predicament of shrugging it off by promising to play it and not play it (in which case they will not have it), trying to explain that it may not work, refering to the party organiser, playing the track or perhaps saying no.

Dependent on the situation I would normally play the track and name the person who asked for it, assuming it is not completely out of "suit for the audience". Swearing and heavy music (skrillex etc.) would be a good example.
    Oh OK - though that sounds more like staying safely within musical boundaries, not testing them.

Default Thanks to all for the responses

Thanks to all who took the tome to reply with some great advice.
    It's good to know that you're not alone.
    I will certainly make use of the suggestions!!

Quote Originally Posted by safdiscos View Post
    I had the exact same thing in a pub a few weeks ago, people leaning over the deck stand telling me exackly what they thought of the music, demanding it to be changed immediately and giving me seriously rude verbal abuse, it was made worse as the person paying for the disco was the landlord, they were getting it free and still moaning, in the end i did something i really shouldnt have and wont do again, but one bloke was giving me dogs abuse, so i just turned the music right down and announced if i hear his voice again he'l get a smack in the mouth.... after that the previously rude customers of the pub totally changed their attitudes and were much nicer. I'm aware however I could well of caused a massive punch up in the middle of the pub. lesson learnt. Be cool
    never a good idea to threaten violence, although tempting some times... apart from anything else if looks really unprofessional. The best thing you can do in these circumstances is as you did but instead of "if I hear his voice again he'll get a smack in the mouth" what about "I have tolerated enough abuse from a few guest, you know who you are if I get any more I will terminate my services" after you have said this speak to you client and make clear who is giving you problems if they are not brough into line then carry out your threat terminate the music until the idiots are sorted out and if they give you too much pack up and go home