Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: A word of warning

Default A word of warning

Do not use solid state hard drives at all.....

ok my background is that for the past 20 years I've owned a computer shop.

last year when we build the new lighter disco rig for small set ups I used a 80g ssd for the O/S then 2 x 500gb one for karaoke and one for mp3s

reliability is an issue, first time out (it was cold and snowing) the drive wouldn't detect in the machine, so had to do the gig off a laptop then half way through the night it must of warmed up the computer booted fine finding the drive, just to be on the safe side I've replaced it.

2nd drive, keeps loosing files...... wont always boot constantly wants to scandisk.

3rd drive has corrupted VDJ (missing files when I start VDJ) and a good % of my music which I do have backed up.

system being rebuilt with a mechanical drive this weekend.... dare I say it the other 2 disco rigs we use have had the old hard drives in for 5 years no problem free.

say no to ssd, that's what I say.

Default T11

I have been using a Sony T11 Ultrabook (now called the Vaio Pro) for nearly a year for general usage ie. editing videos and photos etc.
    It has an 128GB SSD. I have had no issues. Totally recommended.
    Great having a machine that starts in less than 12 secs (from boot) and is operates without noise!
    Lee
    Lee Live: Wedding DJ
    http://www.djLeeLive.com/

Which model of drive was it, perhaps that is relevant? You can't write off all SSDs on the basis of just your own experience.

For what it's worth, I've had a SSD in my main computer for 2 years now, as the primary drive, and I've had no issues. Obviously the computer stays in situ, at a steady temperature, but even so - it's been an impressive performer.