Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Stirling Castle

Default Stirling Castle

Any one done the Great Hall at Stirling Castle before.
    Looking for some info on set-up and what to expect.
    Many thanks
    Lee
    Lee Live: Wedding DJ
    http://www.djLeeLive.com/

My brother's band has done it. He's coming over for dinner later so I'll ask him if there's any pitfalls to be wary of.

Asked him about it and he says it's an easy load in - you can get right up to where you set up at the throne end of the room.

He did say it's a bit tight going through the gateways so watch your trailer.

Said because of the size and shape of the room too you'll need a big rig and it'll sound either way.

He just e-mailed me through this. Hope it helps:

When you get there you need to drive up to the main gate/drawbridge type thing at the esplanade and a security gaurd wll come and radio up to let them know you are coming. You then need to drive up with your lights on (even if it's broad daylight) and there might be visitors about. Some of the turns are sharp and passages narrow so you need to be carful in a van or with a wide car/trailor. Once you get up the main hall is on your right, you can pull right up outside it.
    Load in is through one wide door and you set up at the opposite end of the hall (at the thrones) which is quite a distance away. It is a very long room but also wide (pretty similar in dimensions to Mansfield Traquiar). Also very high ceilings. The walls are all brick and windows and the roof is wood so the sound in it is pretty terrible.
    Plenty of sockets at the thrones. There is a wee room through the door to the right of the thrones as you are looking up towards the other end of the room where you should be able to go and sit/get changed and store cases if you don't want to store them at the thrones.
    Overall a not too bad load in since it is all on the ground level, but it is just abit of distance from entrance to where you will set up.

Default Thanks

Thanks Jim. That is super. Really appreciated.
    All the best
    Lee

Default Stirling Castle

Thanks for this help.
    It was fairly easy to get in and out of Stirling Castle.
    I was directed to park at the back of the hall, where I had to climb the stairs instead.
    Luckily I was only booked to perform to 150 guests so I hadn't quoted for using my subs as it would have been tricky getting them in.
    I was placed to the side of the room (not under the thrones)... so that helped with using a smaller system too. As I didn't have to boom to sound down the hall...

All the best
    Lee
    Last edited by leelive; 11-08-2013 at 10:10 AM.

Just came across this venue review. Hadn't been here for a while.
    So thats what that part of the castle looks like in daylight.
    Do a gig every September as part of the ceremonial ball for those stationed at the castle with a 10.00pm start.
    They stick me in the "Green Room" downstairs while a ceilidh band entertains upstairs.
    I can be playing music to nobody,then all of a sudden the place is packed as the ceilidh band take a break or in the case of this year, I think most just stayed for the last hour in my wee room.
    Took a wee video of it this year.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgY5sd-Am9o
    CDK ENTERTAINMENTS
    *music for all occasions"