Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Sleeping at the Wheel

Default Sleeping at the Wheel

How many of you have been so tired from the previous nights work that you have struggled to think straight on the way to a gig?

I set-off from Edinburgh for Stirling this evening.... It ought to have been a quick 50minute drive up the M9. But, for because I was so sleepy I took the M90 (over the Forth Road Bridge) for Perth. I only realised my error near Kinross!! I had to then travel 22 miles down a minor road to get across country.

It took me 2 hours to get to Stirling Castle. I had factored in some extra time (so I could have a wee nap on arrival)... but I ended up being 40 minutes late!!

Luckily the wedding is running a similar amount of time behind and I am now ready in time!!

But what a panic!!

Has this happened to anyone else?

Leee
    Lee Live: Wedding DJ
    http://www.djLeeLive.com/

Dunno about that, but did you fall asleep & your head hit the keyboard at the end of typing that post?
    Quote Originally Posted by leelive View Post
    Leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    (OK...slight exaggeration, but it still comes to something when you can't spell your own name correctly )

I've had a few moments when driving home from a gig, but not going to one! Was there a reason why you couldn't just sleep extra today Lee, did you have to be up early for something? I must say that I'm glad I don't have kids, because I'm not one of those people who get by with just a few hours sleep! <7 hours and I don't function properly

Default Sleep

Quote Originally Posted by BeerFunk View Post
    I've had a few moments when driving home from a gig, but not going to one! Was there a reason why you couldn't just sleep extra today Lee, did you have to be up early for something? I must say that I'm glad I don't have kids, because I'm not one of those people who get by with just a few hours sleep! <7 hours and I don't function properly
    It takes me ages to unwind to get to sleep after a gig. Tonight, home at 3:20am.... Will be 4:30am by the time I am asleep.

My kids will wake me up around 8:00am.

I usually manage to get a couple of hours in the afternoon before a gig... but just couldn't get any sleep yesterday. I suppose I was worrying a little about the Stirling gig. That could have been the reason having never been there before.

Lee

Actually feel asleep a couple of weekends ago .... first time ever .... about six miles from home at the end of a 90 mile return trip. I knew I was tired and had the Window down , got a bit chilly so I wound up the window the next thing I knew I was waking up on the hard shoulder ... scary , luckily I got away with it and even luckier there was a hard shoulder.
    WOODY

Default Lucky

Quote Originally Posted by Woodyo View Post
    Actually feel asleep a couple of weekends ago .... first time ever .... about six miles from home at the end of a 90 mile return trip. I knew I was tired and had the Window down , got a bit chilly so I wound up the window the next thing I knew I was waking up on the hard shoulder ... scary , luckily I got away with it and even luckier there was a hard shoulder.
    Hell. That was lucky.
    I usually fight the sleep.
    There have been many nights when I have had to drive for more that 2 hours to get home and found that I have been struggling to stay awake.
    I know I need a sleep and ought to pull over to get a rest... but I fight on. Windows open. Loud music on. I still struggle to keep my eyes open.
    I found that if I fight it for 20mins then I can get through it and be fine for the rest of the journey.

Once I did career onto the hard shoulder. Hitting that ribbed white line and being shocked at the realisation that I almost lost it gave me such an adrenaline rush that I had no problem staying awake after that.

Lee