Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Photos / Videos at gigs

Default Photos / Videos at gigs

I was going to post this a while back but forgot. My mind was jogged regarding this at a wedding fayre on Sunday.

So, on Sunday I'm speaking to a groom who has already booked me, and had popped along to the fayre to have a look at the other suppliers there. When he was chatting to me he noticed my Photo Book Album on display and picked it up. He then asked if this (taking photos) at the event was something DJs normally do. I told him I used to, but very rarely know due to an experience I had a year or so back (which I'll get to in a minute). The groom then went on to explain that he was at a wedding recently and the DJ was in and out the booth many times throughout the night taking snapshots. He said it was a topic of conversation at the table he was sitting at, and that the majority of those at the table thought it was unprofessional of him to be out taking pictures for what he perceived was "marketing purposes". I mentioned that some DJs take pictures and provide them to the Bride & Groom after the event as a memento, to which he replied "I just want the DJ to play the music and make sure everyone has a good time". I promised him I wouldn't be taking photos at his wedding.

Ok, going back to a a year or so ago. I used to take my camcorder and my helper would take footage throughout the night. I used to pass the edited clips to the client soon after and it was always gratefully accepted. However, on one occasion when I was doing the editing a gentleman stepped in front of the camera and said into the lens "what are you doing? Don't you realise you may be intruding into the couples day with your camera. Don't you realise that I personally don't want to be filmed by the DJ, nor does my friends". Now, he didn't say it an a smart arse fashion. He was polite and matter of fact in what he said, and didn't appear to be drunk....it was concise enough to make me take it serious. My helper didn't even mention it at the time and I only found out when looking back at the footage a few days later. It kind of made me think. Maybe it was an isolated incident but that one person having that view stopped me taking my camcorder to gigs. For whatever reason he felt strongly enough to leave that message with me, and since then I haven't taken footage out on the dancefloor. Then with the Groom bringing it up on Sunday there it's definitely provided food for thought.

All too often we think that taken images of footage at events is somewhat the norm for us. Yet there may be some who might take offence to that, as I've found out from the 2 occasions I've mentioned.

I still don't personally see anything wrong with it, but knowing that some might has made me look at things from a different angle.

I look forward to reading your thoughts.
    Last edited by Shaun; 27-08-2013 at 09:31 PM.

I have never had a problem and i always ask if its ok to do so on the night.
    I have been taking photos for around 3 years and only once have the bride and groom said No. Most of them think its a good item and i do tell them i will send them a few to say thanks (Normally between 5 - 15 Photos) But i also Charge if they require more Photos if they like them or when i send my Mobile Disco quote to them, Photography is a add on.

I do it now and again particularly if it's a nice venue or I have any extras or new toys out on display. I'll be doing it this weekend actually with the full blessing of the couple.

I do however always ask beforehand if it's OK and I announce early on in the night that I'll be taking some photos and it's never been an issue but I suppose some people may see it as unprofessional.

I guess my concern is not so much what the Bride & Groom think (as I'm sure we all check it's ok prior). It's how some guests may perceive it. Even though the clients know the score I still want to show myself in the best light to as many potential customers as possible. Knowing that a future customer of mine had been discussing [the DJ taking pics] with his table at a recent event he was at, and the consensus between him and his friends at the table was that it was "unprofessional". If I didn't already have reservations due to my camcorder incident a while back, I definitely do now after speaking about it with my client.

On the flipside, it's impossible to second guess every guests perceptions. The conversation I had on Sunday has definitely put even more seeds of doubt in my head though.
    Last edited by Shaun; 27-08-2013 at 09:17 PM.

No hard and fast answer, I'm afraid. John and I did a 50th Party where we were both snapping away from time to time, and the customer was delighted with the piccies we sent him. On another occasion, our efforts might have earned us a clip round the ear.

We tend to regard taking photos as the norm, but some folk might think that's taking liberties. Each case on its merits.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

We quite often take photos at large events or those with nice venues, with the best ones ending up on the website.

I have a line in my terms stating that we may take photos or record video clips for promotion purposes, and ask that the client lets us know if they'd rather we didn't.

Couple of years ago, I was asked to remove a few pictures that id taken at a Christmas party. Turned out a group of people included in the photos were police officers who didn't want there faces being shown online.

Not had any other issues with it.
    Dave
    DSF Mobile Discos
    www.dsfdiscos.co.uk

I think if you are being paid to DJ, then that is what you should be doing. The odd photo now and again is OK IMO.

If the client has paid for an extra service then fair enough.

You wouldn't suddenly get out and start icing the wedding cake if unprompted would you?

I don't like taking photos at gigs. The main reason is that I've not got a good camera and I'm totally rubbish at photography anyway! The other reason is that I don't feel comfortable with it myself. I tried it a month or so ago at a birthday party and it wasn't until I reviewed the photos later that I noticed the woman whose birthday it was looking at me in a very disapproving way! She didn't say anything on the night but it made me think about the whole taking photos situation.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

I never photo the bride and groom at all.
    - Mostly myself

Actually i don't do that anymore and focus on the other bits and bobs, like cakes and ideas that can go on Facebook.
    When the party is going I then take some snaps. No one has ever seen it as a problem from what i can see, depends what level you take it too?

I generally do it when people will not notice so much, which is coincidentally when the dancefloor is busy.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Going back to the question of video, a common decency is to let the audience know that you will be filming the event, and should they not wish to be seen on camera, to simply put their hand in front of their face briefly as the camera passes. This means that any clips of those people can be deleted in the final edit and no-one gets upset. It's worked for us previously, but much like many others on here, we don't bother anymore and leave video/photography to the experts!