Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: New Stand Advice.

Default New Stand Advice.

Hi all, just hoping for a little advice.

I have the power bar from Thoman, really pleased with it but the stand isn't holding up too well. I'm finding the thread on the tightening screw for the tripod legs are not holding as it should and the legs can close in if I'm not careful.

I'm hoping for a much sturdier one that also goes higher.

My next investment will be some air powered speaker stands and I'm just wondering if anyone can suggest an equivalent lighting stand that would accommodate my power bar.

Thanks in advance.

Sarah x

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post

I'm hoping for a much sturdier one that also goes higher.
    Sarah x
    If I remember correctly, the Thomann one goes to 2.4m ( around 8ft in old money ) Higher than that, I'd strongly recommend a wind up stand of some type.

With almost all stands, the danger is overtightening the fixing screw, which can damage or strip the threads, meaning you then tighten it harder to hold, thus doing even more damage. Vicious circle.

When I get a minute, I'll measure the diameter of the original one, it may not be what I expected.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

The original stands are very poorly designed, to date, I've had two fail on me with the same fault as you are experiencing, the good news is Thomann are very good when it comes to honouring their warranties. My advice would be to contact them and explain the problem (they'll almost certainly ask for photos of the damage) but the outcome will probably be the tripod will be replaced with a new one, I've had two new replacements sent to date. The problem is unlikely to be a stripped thread although it initially gives the impression it is, the actual fault is almost certainly the plastic block that puts pressure on the centre column has become distorted and worn by continual use, Unfortunately you need to dismantle the lower tripod to get to this block to confirm and photograph it, otherwise Thomann will just send you a new hand wheel screw which won't fix your problem. Here's a photo of the likely offending item, as you can see the threads are OK, but the block is faulty (and they don't carry them as spares, hence the new tripods), hope this helps. The Par Bar will fit onto just about any standard wind up tripod, but you will need to tighten it with the hand wheel screw to prevent it wobbling, like you already do with the standard Thomann supplied tripod.

Name:  worn_pressure_block.JPG
Views: 151
Size:  101.1 KB
    Last edited by Pe7e; 01-09-2013 at 05:57 PM.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Thank you very much for your replies.

I'm gonna strip the tripod down and have a look, if it is as you describe Pe7e then I'll have a go at approaching Thomann.

They are very good, my first tripod bag had a tear in and they sent me a new one, no problem.

Again, thanks for your help.

Sarah x

I have this same problem, I know I'm over tightening the screws but it's only a pressure tight hold and I don't want the buggers to fall down!
    As a short term fix I've copied the same idea with the top extending pole and drilled a hole through the bottom part of the pole and put a bolt in to ensure even when they do slip down the bolt will hold the weight

I'm looking at getting some new tripod with a better quality tightening mechanism any recommendations?

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

I've been looking at the Ultimate Support air powered products.

They're expensive but you get what you pay for!

Sarah x