Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of this list for Saturdays Wedding?

Default What do you think of this list for Saturdays Wedding?

Hi Guys. I think this is possibly the first time I have posted a list on here. I received this a couple of hours ago. Apart from a couple, it is not normally the type of music I would play. Just wondering what your thoughts are?

1. The Final Countdown - Europe
    2. Hero - Nickleback
    3. Crawling in the Dark - Hoobustank
    4. The Reason - Hoobustank
    5. Anthem - Zebrahead
    6. The Kill - 30 Second to Mars
    7. Taste of Ink - The Used
    8. All that I've got - The Used
    9. Miss Murder - AFI
    10. My Heart is Broken - Evanescence
    11. Start Wearing Purple - Gogol Bordello
    12. Don't you Forget about Me - Simple Minds
    13. The Middle - Jimmy Eat World
    14. Feeling Good - Muse
    15. Closer to the Edge - 30 Seconds to Mars
    16. Shining Light - Ash
    17. I'm not Okay - My Chemical Romance
    18. Disco 2000 - Pulp
    19. The Hindu Times - Oasis
    20.Closing Time - Semisonic

For our 1st Dance we would like - The Luckiest by Ben Folds

Don't know some of those but those I do are good'uns! Could be a good gig.

Same here , I have not heard of some , just did a quick copy N paste into you tube , sure makes a change from the usual suspects.

Daryll
    darylldj.co.uk , serving hampshire , Surrey and sussex

Looks good to me, but it's the sort of stuff I play anyway. But I'd have a concern that if that short list has thrown you how are you going to handle it if that's the sort of music all the guests want all night. I'd talk to your clients and see what they think everybody else will want.

Smile

The Gogol Bordello tune is a Balkan Beat tune iirc ,
    a good band who's biggest tune in the Uk was 'Yuri Gagarin' from 5 years or so back ..

Most of the others are a mystery to me

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    Looks good to me, but it's the sort of stuff I play anyway. But I'd have a concern that if that short list has thrown you how are you going to handle it if that's the sort of music all the guests want all night. I'd talk to your clients and see what they think everybody else will want.
    Thanks for your reply's guys. The list has thrown me slightly. Before I put this on the forum I did contact the client to see if he thought everyone that was going would have the same taste in music. This was his reply: That's great. If u could through in some more rock, indie & 80's stuff that would be great. Apart from that just a general mix as the guests age range is toddlers to pensioners. Bit of Beatles wouldn't go a miss either.

Is there anything that stands out that I should definitely be playing?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeW View Post
    Thanks for your reply's guys. The list has thrown me slightly. Before I put this on the forum I did contact the client to see if he thought everyone that was going would have the same taste in music. This was his reply: That's great. If u could through in some more rock, indie & 80's stuff that would be great. Apart from that just a general mix as the guests age range is toddlers to pensioners. Bit of Beatles wouldn't go a miss either.

Is there anything that stands out that I should definitely be playing?
    Classic Blur, Pulp, Smiths etc tunes would probably work well. You can't go far wrong with Town Called Malice once the lads have had a few drinks, almost guaranteed to get them on the dance-floor, as is Baggy Trousers, One Step Beyond etd. I'd also have some Kasabian, Foo Fighters, Kings of Leon, Kaiser Chiefs, Fratellis, Libertines, Arctic Monkeys, Greenday, Killers etc waiting in the wings in case they look like they'll work....Teenage Dirtbag has been getting great reactions whenever I've played it recently as well.

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    Classic Blur, Pulp, Smiths etc tunes would probably work well. You can't go far wrong with Town Called Malice once the lads have had a few drinks, almost guaranteed to get them on the dance-floor, as is Baggy Trousers, One Step Beyond etd. I'd also have some Kasabian, Foo Fighters, Kings of Leon, Kaiser Chiefs, Fratellis, Libertines, Arctic Monkeys, Greenday, Killers etc waiting in the wings in case they look like they'll work....Teenage Dirtbag has been getting great reactions whenever I've played it recently as well.
    Thanks very much for that I really appreciate it. I will be doing some research before the wedding and to be honest I am quite looking forward to it!

That's quite the list.

Some of them will definitely go over well especially after everyone's got a good few drinks in them - the final countdown, I'm Not OK, Disco 2000, closing time jump out to me.

Others are just way too dirgy for a wedding imo (Nickelback's dirgy Spiderman tune???) I'd have a listen to all of them and definitely pick out the ones that don't have some sort of groove. I had to do a wedding earlier int he year where they had a reasonably similar set of requests: tonnes of Muse, Nirvana etc... and it bombed with all of the guests except the close friends of the couple. Stuck on Steeler's Wheel and the floor filled...

As always I'd just use your judgement on the night and let them couple know in advance that you might not be able to play all of them if the crowd isn't receptive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    That's quite the list.

Some of them will definitely go over well especially after everyone's got a good few drinks in them - the final countdown, I'm Not OK, Disco 2000, closing time jump out to me.

Others are just way too dirgy for a wedding imo (Nickelback's dirgy Spiderman tune???) I'd have a listen to all of them and definitely pick out the ones that don't have some sort of groove. I had to do a wedding earlier int he year where they had a reasonably similar set of requests: tonnes of Muse, Nirvana etc... and it bombed with all of the guests except the close friends of the couple. Stuck on Steeler's Wheel and the floor filled...

As always I'd just use your judgement on the night and let them couple know in advance that you might not be able to play all of them if the crowd isn't receptive.
    Thanks for that Jim. My feeling is that it might only be a small percentage of guests who are into that list. To be honest there are a lot that I don't have but am happy to purchase even although they might not be played on the night (or ever again!) It will cost me approx £15.00 which I don't have a problem with as it does help build my collection. (I do offer people the chance to submit a playlist and this will be the biggest amount of tracks I have had to purchase for someone for a while, but like I say I am ok with it)