Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outdoor Music - Where to draw the lines.....

Default Outdoor Music - Where to draw the lines.....

I'm sure this has probably been addressed on here before, but I'd like to gauge opinions on marquee/outdoor weddings in private houses, etc.

I've recently taken a booking for a wedding next Spring. It's being held in a large (but not secluded) private house in a wealthy area of Essex. I've explained to the clients that the generally accepted 'noise nuisance' cut off time in the UK is 11pm, but that I am willing to play until midnight. They have now asked for the party to continue until 'at least 3am' with 'banging club classics.' I then explained that noise levels in the still of night carry much, much farther than the close-by neighbours' houses whom they have invited, and that if reported to the authorities, I could have equipment confiscated. This is obviously a drastic measure, but it happened to a former colleague about fifteen years ago.

It's looking increasingly likely that I will not be playing this reception due to the timings. What does everyone else think? Am I being unduly cautious?

In my opinion, No. I think you are doing the right thing.
    You advised them in advance using your experience.
    As the booking is a long way off they will have plenty of time to get something sorted.
    If you think that they are going to stick to those times then I would say to them that unfortunately I am unable to provide the service they require for the duration that they require and I would reiterate the reasons.

It's not worth risking equipment being confiscated.

I'm sure you won't get your equipment confiscated.
    If it is reported normally a letter is sent to the address with the details of the complaint.

If it is a persistent problem or is more severe which I can't imagine if the nearby neighbours are invited the police may attend and ask for the music to be turned down so to not annoy neighbours or completely off.
    Before you're equipment is seized the organiser will have been fined and asked to do this.

The Police need a warrant to confiscate any equipment and I don't see them somehow doing all of this in one night before you finish.

Illegal raves are of course a different story and I know nothing about these.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Just add a clause to your T&C's stipulating that In the event of noise complaints you will comply in full with any instructions provided by the authorities. You could also add to the clause that states beyond 11pm the noise levels and bass frequencies will be reduced significantly to adhere to Government guidelines on Noise Pollution Control.

I doubt very much the authorities will turn up and remove your gear without due warning, but it's always better to err on the side of caution. Situations like this you have to be clear and concise in making the clients understand that there will be low volumes later in the evening, which may work against their expectations (especially as they have requested dance music).

I would make it 1am max if its an area with houses around it. Get on google maps.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

No, you are not being over cautious. I think that in situations like this, it's best to put yourself in someone elses shoes who has just finished work and wants some kip or perhaps is ill and has to listen to thud, thud, thud while 3am in the morning. There is a tendancy these days towards this sort of party so well off people can drink at supermarket prices. When it becomes commonplace, they'll be no peace and quiet anywhere.

I had the same situation a few weeks ago and I stopped music at 11.30pm prompt. I'd reduced the bass at 11.00pm. Personally, I though that was too late. Nightime is for sleeping.

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    I'm sure you won't get your equipment confiscated.
    If it is reported normally a letter is sent to the address with the details of the complaint.

If it is a persistent problem or is more severe which I can't imagine if the nearby neighbours are invited the police may attend and ask for the music to be turned down so to not annoy neighbours or completely off.
    Before you're equipment is seized the organiser will have been fined and asked to do this.

The Police need a warrant to confiscate any equipment and I don't see them somehow doing all of this in one night before you finish.
    I'm not sure the police have anything to do with it. Environmental health investigate noise complaints usually.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Events Ltd View Post
    I'm not sure the police have anything to do with it. Environmental health investigate noise complaints usually.
    Not after 10.30pm!! The police will be involved if they receive any complaints!!

I've done two garden parties before that have been visited by the police due to noise levels (even though on both occasions I turned the volume down to a minimum level so that the S2L light effects still worked). Both events were finished early by the organisers after speaking with the police.

"3am"? "Banging club classics"? Like the Dragons, I'd have to say sorry but I'm out!!
    Last edited by DazzyD; 06-09-2013 at 12:52 PM.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    Not after 10.30pm!! The police will be involved if they receive any complaints!!
    I'm still not convinced you are right Dazzy.

Google 'noise complaints police'

They can't do anything but work with EH to solve problems.

Edit, though I suppose it could go down as a breach of the peace?

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Events Ltd View Post
    Edit, though I suppose it could go down as a breach of the peace?
    They're more likely to use the "illegal rave" line to confiscate equipment. Actually, they're far more likely to tell you call environmental health.

I have had exactly this situation in the past (private party, very loud, in a very residential area, going on til late) and I've called the police (non-emergency numbers obviously) and been told in no uncertain terms that it's an Environmental health thing. Environmental health only being interested if the noise happens on recurring basis. And during office hours. And with sufficient recorded evidence.

I suspect different police forces will have different policies though and some will be more inclined to act to keep the peace than others.

I ended up taking the fuses out of their meter box (not a recommended action) and posting them through the door in an envelope the next morning

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography