Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Qsc k series specs explained

Default Qsc k series specs explained

Hiya

Right looking at buying the qsc range but unsure which to go for k8 for the wieght, or k10 or k12. I'm unsure what I'm suposed to be looking out for, when I look for speakers I tend to look for the wattage "bigger the better" and I know there's a lot more to look at than just the wattage now these 3 speakers have the same wattage but different frequencys, can some explain in laymans terms what the frequencys mean!!!? Just a simple term cause I'm not the brightest spark out there haha.

Also I see the k8 has a max db at 127 and the k12 have a max db at 131 would you see a big difference with how loud it can go? Or isn't it that much?

I'm attracted to the k8 cause they are small and lightweight weight like 8kg! But I'm drawn to the k12 cause they are louder and better forgetting about the wieght of em!....but should I be! Arghhhh

Just found out an extra 4db is equivalent to 2.511 times louder.

So does that mean the k12 will sound two and a half times louder than the k8's

I bought 2 x k12s approx 3 years ago. Not sure about the technical side but for me they are a very good speaker. I thought about the k10s but went for the biggest available and have never looked back. Hope that helps.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by salford1986 View Post
    Just found out an extra 4db is equivalent to 2.511 times louder.

So does that mean the k12 will sound two and a half times louder than the k8's
    Just about everyone will say the same thing - go have a listen and let your ears decide. Failing that, look here: http://www.paformusic.info/
    Failing that follow these meanderings:

Lower end frequencies are usually quoted at two dB levels and for most DJ pa a figure of around 45hz will do you fine. The further up the quoted dB scale the speaker is quoted as able to achieve lower frequencies, the more 'bassy' it will be at higher volumes. You'll notice how a speaker can sound quite bassy and mellow at low volumes but the more you turn it up, the more the bass disappears and the high frequencies become harsh in comparison. This measure gives you and idea of how that will happen in real time.

High frequencies - I wouldn't get hung up on this - most modern cabs will do what you need for disco. It's easy enough to balance it out on your mixer. Usually, just check the size of the "voicecoil". A 1 inch one will do fine but moving up to a 2" makes hell of a difference if you are a singer - clearer and able to throw sound further.

Sound pressure levels (SPL's) - usually quoted in dB but can be misleading because there are numerous ways of measuring it. An extra 4 or so Db might well double sound but that doesn't mean much. If you run two speakers at the same volume and turn one off/on - that effectively doubles sound and it's not so noticeable. To double that you'd need 4 speakers, then 8 then 16 and this is where the doubling effect becomes noticeable on the decibel scale.

Generally speaking if you compare the same speaker range, the bigger the bass driver (8", 10", 12", 15" etc.), the louder the speaker will appear and you'll probably experience greater bass. Most people on here seem to go for the 12" QSC's. I'd pay most attention to that. As alternatives to QSC's I've heard the Yamaha the DXR series and the 12" cab is very good and cheaper than a QSC. The DSR series would be too heavy?

But as I said, go listen at a proper shop but do them the courtesy of buying there. Even if you pay a little more from them, you'll usually find life is easier if the speakers go wrong.

I understand there is not much difference between the K10 & K12 but apparently the K10 has a better sound dispersion I would think if you were going to use subs all the time the K10s would be better but for a very small gig the K12s would probably be OK on their own.

I use the K10s, but always with a sub. Funnily enough, I worked with a tribute act last week and he has K12s and mine sounded so much sweeter. Mind you his whole sound was way too loud and sounded awful..