Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Bass bin speaker - help??

Default Bass bin speaker - help??

Basically im wanting to give my setup abit more of a kick for when I do larger venues. So I've been looking into getting a bass bin although im completely puzzled by what I can and can't have in my system and have been told off various people different things so....
    My set up currently is,
    2x Wharfedale Svp-12 speakers http://www.wharfedalepro.com/Home/Pr...2/Default.aspx
    1x Stageline Amp http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=MON244120
    1x Pioneer DJM-700 mixer

Im looking to spend £250 max (yes I know not a great deal) and want to know what my options are. Initially I wanted to get a powered bass bin and just hook it up straight into the back of my mixer, is that even possible or will it distort the speakers? I then spoke to a guy in a shop who explained to me I could get an unpowered bass bin and link it into my system aslong as it was 8ohms (to match the speakers) which would then bring the system down to 4ohms. He said I could link it for e.g. mixer > xlr cable > bass bin > xlr cable > amp > cables > speakers. Is that possible? I thought because the bass bin was unpowered it had to be powered by the amp?
    Anyway any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    Basically im wanting to give my setup abit more of a kick for when I do larger venues. So I've been looking into getting a bass bin although im completely puzzled by what I can and can't have in my system and have been told off various people different things so....
    My set up currently is,
    2x Wharfedale Svp-12 speakers http://www.wharfedalepro.com/Home/Pr...2/Default.aspx
    1x Stageline Amp http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=MON244120
    1x Pioneer DJM-700 mixer

Im looking to spend £250 max (yes I know not a great deal) and want to know what my options are. Initially I wanted to get a powered bass bin and just hook it up straight into the back of my mixer, is that even possible or will it distort the speakers? I then spoke to a guy in a shop who explained to me I could get an unpowered bass bin and link it into my system aslong as it was 8ohms (to match the speakers) which would then bring the system down to 4ohms. He said I could link it for e.g. mixer > xlr cable > bass bin > xlr cable > amp > cables > speakers. Is that possible? I thought because the bass bin was unpowered it had to be powered by the amp?
    Anyway any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated.
    Just to update there actually Wharfedale Svp-15 speakers http://www.wharfedalepro.com/Home/Pr...4/Default.aspx

First of all Shane, please pop axcross to the Newbies section, and introduce yourself. It's quite painless, and once we know a bit more about you, we can tailor our responses more accurately.

Right, to your question. Second part first, an unpowered bin is a lot of trouble to rig up as you need, and yes it has to be driven by the amp.
    A powered one is a doddle, and would be best for you. Finding one in budget, well let's have a go. Ideally you need one with hi-pass output, so that the tops have an easier life.

Here's a pair for £200. QTX Each one is single channel, so in this case a pair is easier to rig than one, although one is possible. They're not Rolls Royce, but bI've got some tops byn them, and they're adequate.

Here's one bang on budget. Alto I've not had personal experience, but Alto are a well regarded budget make.

Hope this helps, I look forward to reading your introduction.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Personally I would not waste your money on QTX, buy once buy smart, I doubt you will be happy with them, have seen them have heard them cack sound is the only way I would describe them, cabs vibrate and they flutter if you try low fequencys at any reasonable volume. Go for the Alto or save up some more and get better quality.

Quote Originally Posted by SoundONE View Post
    Personally I would not waste your money on QTX, buy once buy smart, I doubt you will be happy with them, have seen them have heard them cack sound is the only way I would describe them, cabs vibrate and they flutter if you try low fequencys at any reasonable volume. Go for the Alto or save up some more and get better quality.
    Agreed, but: He's got a pair of 12" tops with 97db sensitivity driven by an amp that could safely be doubled in output. He won't need an awful lot of sub to overpower them, which is why I suggested what I did. If he were to buy say a s/h RCF, and stick it under them, they'd be drowned by incautious use of the gain control on the sub. Before long, he'd be looking at upgrading the tops.

More expense, which may or may not be justified. One of the reasons we ask for an introduction is to get relevant information to assist us. If the lad's earnt his money with a paper round, and only ever plays the pub round the corner, then investing three grand in a nice Yamaha rig would not be a viable option.

On the information provided so far I'd be inclined to suggest keeping the Wharfedales and amp as backup/infill, and buy a pair of 15" Active tops, like W Audio. I think he'd get a lot more improvement that way than adding subs of any kind or quality to what he has at the moment.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk