Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another "what to buy" question.

Aaaaaaand nearly three years have passed, so here we are again. This one should be a good one, coffee and biscuits time.

The lease is just about up on the Surface, so here are the possibilities.

1) Buy it and carry on as I am.
    2) Trade it, and get a new Surface ( which has just dropped £70, making it more affordable )
    3) Buy a Linx tablet. No idea how good they are. Only £150 though.
    4) Get an android. I already have one as backup, but it's only an 8", and gets used a lot less nowadays.
    5) Buy an Apple. Only kidding. Suggest that Toby, and I'm going off to look for the " One touch ban and clean " button.

Pros and cons.
    1)Pro: It has full lifetime Ms Office on it. Con: Certain programmes won't run on it. Three years down the line it's going to be tired.
    2) Pro: Full Windows 10 version ( or so I believe ), so everything will run. It's new. Con: Needs Ms Office, and a lifetime version is £100. I do have a multi licence version of 365, but I don't know if I can swap/upgrade from the single version I currently have.
    3) Pro: Cost. Con: Uncertainty as to suitability.
    4) Pro: Widespread compatability. Con: It's not Windows
    5) Pro: Quality and ease of use. Con: Cost and lining up with Toby.

Over to you folks.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Right folks, a few supplementary questions. I've got a copy of Office 365 ( don't ask why, I just have ) and from what I've read, I think it's possible to read and send email with this installed on a Windows 8 machine. Possibly on an RT also, I got confused after a couple of lines. Is this a runner? The RT one apparently doesn't have Outlook installed.

Re downloads, I can't use the Amazon downloader,( so can't download any Kindle books ) which is a real PITA, but I seem to be able to get individual tracks from 7digital. ( Mind you, I can't find the one I downloaded as a trial. I played it when it arrived, now it's gone off and hidden. )

Advice appreciated as always. Ta.

Update: Who's a clever boy then? My ISP is Orange/EE. I just logged in there, and bingo, I can send and receive emails from there. Sorted.
    Peter, I can't answer re 365 BUT can say I had Windows 8 which was awful, so upgraded for free to Windows 10 which was better.

However eventually because of poor response speed I had to have a faster processor fitted plus a solid state hard drive, big difference.

Re Kindle buy a paper white reader, brilliant and download direct to machine--about £100 and you can read it even in bright sunlight on the beach.

Possibly not much help in Yorkshire

Well since our eager friend has linked to my experiences, I can't remember if I made the customary thread three years later ( The lease is three years, you see )

Suffice to say that new Surface tablets run on full Windows 10, and I'm using one fairly happily. The Pro version is a 12" and far better. That's the short version.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk