Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Electric Cable

Question Electric Cable

Hi I am Starting up again after a few years off the scene I have decided that one pet hate when use to do it was CABLES and excess cabling at that.

So my question is can I make my own extension leads for hard wiring the lighting rig etc?

If so can anyone recommend the type of cabling I can use?

It goes without saying I plan on having everything checked and inspected by a fully qualified electrician and also PAT testing

Any help would be great

Thank you

If you can wire a plug, then it's incredibly easy, yes.

As you say, if you're getting it checked out by a tester, well that's the whole purpose of PAT.

To be honest though, you'd save a lot of time if you sourced someone to do it for you, and deliver them with those lovely green stickers already on them

Indeed you can, buy a reel of cable, a barrowload of connectors and fuses, and you're away. A couple of words of caution though. When the kit is tested, the tester will be required to perform a visual check on each connector, so will end up undoing both plugs/sockets. If you'd bought a moulded one, he doesn't have to do this, so it speeds him up. This may or may not affect his price, and his willingness to return next year, so just a thought.

IEC connectors, we've had this before more than once. They are notoriously difficult to wire, and many folk resort to soldering the blighters. There are however some lovely ones which are just like a 13a to wire up. Don't ask for a link, cos I haven't got one. Have a search, and before you buy a hundred of the tricky ones, I'd recommend finding the easy ones first. You may have to buy a handful first, but that could save you money and stress.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Question

thank you

I wasn't going to go into the IEC just the physical extension leads that the lights then plug into. anyone got any links or a company that would sell this stuff