Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Congestion Charge PCN - SCAM!

Quote Originally Posted by wensleydale View Post
    I dont believe this is still going on.
    The CC is clearly signposted. You should have checked when you saw the signs if unsure.

End of....

Quote Originally Posted by Parkboy View Post
    My mother nearly got caught out by the congestion charge, she was visiting relatives and the Sat nav took her through the city centre, she has no interest in computers whatsoever and wouldn't know how to "google", it was only when she mentioned it to her cousin that she knew when she had to pay it. So how are the older, less informed and non PC owning folk supposed to know?
    2 things strike me about this now I've thought about it.

No interest in computers? How does she update her SatNav?

The other thing is, every SatNav I've ever encountered pings up an alert about the CC zone when you plan the route & asks if you want to avoid it
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    How does she update her SatNav?
    Give a Garmin - then you'll never get a working map update anyway

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

If you use google navigation you'll get a notice "this route has tolls".
    My previous experience with tolls is you get near the toll bridge or road and it has a price list and payment booth, the congestion charge is very unique in fact there are only 4 of these congestion charges in the world and only 2 of them operate in the way London does.

Here is a few facts which do go off topic a little (I apologise in advance) however I found them interesting -

1998 Singapore - A pre-pay unit must be installed into your car and topped up with credit.
    2003 London - Must pay in advance or by the next day.
    2007 Stockholm - A bill is sent to the vehicle owner at the end of each month.
    2008 Milan - Identical to London expect ... they have signs which explain how the scheme works (details below)

translated roughly to -
    Restricted area
    No entry: 7:30 to 21:00 unless authorised.
    Paid access available during operation Mon to Fri 7:30 to 19:30 If authorised electronically.
    The price, website and telephone number can be found along with prohibited vehicles and vehicles such as bicycles which are exempt.

Like the sado I am, I've researched all 4 of the schemes, London is the most expensive £10 compared to Stockholms 95p - £1.80 per "visit" depending on what time you enter and they allow you 7 days to pay up before a £6 fine is added. Oddly enough the Stockholm system is by far the most effective reducing traffic by 25% instead of Londons 15%.

London is the only system which doesn't display prices on their signs.

I find it odd how quite a few of you don't share my point, the congestion charge was introduced 10 years ago means that anybody who was not driving 10 years ago (I've been driving for 6 years) would not have been interested in any national news which stated all payments must be made by the following day at the latest (if they ever did, which I doubt).

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Despite having heard of the congestion charge, I'll openly admit I knew nothing about it or how it works. The last I heard of it was briefly on the news when it was introduced, and can't recollect them mentioning anything about how it works or how it's policed. I'm honestly quite surprised that there is no information on the signs. If I were to visit London and saw the signs I'd most likely have made a mental note to pay it when I got home. Only to realise (too late) that I'd have been fined.

To those living in or close to London, you may think it's common knowledge of how it all works as you are living with the system, and experience it on a regular basis. For tourists, those that live quite a bit a way this system could prove to be a very costly exercise. More can be done to make it easier if you ask me, but then again, they are making good money out of people receiving fines. It's a money cow so I can't see them changing things.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post

To those living in or close to London, you may think it's common knowledge of how it all works as you are living with the system, and experience it on a regular basis. For tourists, those that live quite a bit a way this system could prove to be a very costly exercise. More can be done to make it easier if you ask me, but then again, they are making good money out of people receiving fines. It's a money cow so I can't see them changing things.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

I still think that even if you didnt know about it you would see the signs and take action.
    No different to other signs in the highway code.

Quote Originally Posted by wensleydale View Post
    I still think that even if you didnt know about it you would see the signs and take action.
    Of course you would take action. I don't think there's anyone here disputing the fact that there is a fee to pay. It's the lack of clarity and guidance at road level that seems to be questionable.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Of course you would take action. I don't think there's anyone here disputing the fact that there is a fee to pay. It's the lack of clarity and guidance at road level that seems to be questionable.
    Exactamundo.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

This is quite interesting:

http://www.upfa.org.uk/penalty-part-...al-report.html

Someone else is making money on the back of it
    basically pay the charge and then buy his report.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/