Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RCF ART 712A speakers

Question RCF ART 712A speakers

Did a small gig last week and only one of the speakers was giving out sound. I tried it with a known-to-work power lead and known-to-work leads from the mixer to the speaker, but still no go. Any ideas? Is it worth getting the back of of it?

Any help much appreciated.

Stevie

Hello Stevie, first of all whether there are any fuses inside likely to have caused this, I don't know. I'd recommend taking it to an engineer. Passive cabs I'll cheerfully rip to bits. Actives, no.

Second, please pop over to the Newbie section and say hello. It's always nice to know a bit about who we're talking to, and usually helps. Thank you.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

On having a quick look at the manual, I see there's a fuse just below the power inlet. Might be worth having a look at that.
    Two points on that, one is you MUST replace it with the identical rating, these appear to be the ones. Second, fuses are there for a reason. The fuse blowing may be a sign of more serious problems. Good luck.

Assuming the fuse is OK, it's easy to take the back panel off. lay the speaker face down on a towel to stop scratches etc and undo the screws located all around the rear heat sync / control panel. It just lifts out and you can check for any obvious problems. There's not a lot of user serviceable parts in there though.

I know this might sound obvious but have you checked your L/R balance on your mixer?

Thanks to you both for the help. Did check the L/R balance and not that. Will look at the fuse situation.

Okay guys, have checked the fuse and it's fine. Have tried all combinations of power leads, speaker connectors, L/R outputs even swapped the fuses with each speaker and it's definitely the speaker at fault. What would you do next please?

If fuses don't fix it, it's ( usually ) engineer time, I'm afraid.

Thanks. I dread to think what they're on per hour!

Quote Originally Posted by DJStevie View Post
    Thanks. I dread to think what they're on per hour!
    Not as much as you might think!
    Most will even look and tell how much it's gonna cost for free. It could be something simple and only cost twenty five quid... it might be something more serious costing more, but the 712 isn't exactly a cheap Skytec speaker is it, so surely a proper repair is cost effective.

Thanks for all the ideas on this. Have sent it to be fixed, still under warranty. This has got me thinking to get a spare speaker. But, see that there's now a MK11 version of the ART 712-A's? I would like the spare speaker to be the same as the pair I bought last year, but how can I tell if my current ones are MK1 or MK11?