Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BPM returns to the NEC on Saturday 13th through to Monday 15th September 2014

Yes indeed not the best time of year for us working mobile djs.I did notice the difference this year, for one there was no mystery star guest appearance, no real big names as previous years, I did feel this year there was not as much for the mobile dj,plus the fact because of the date change most of the regulars from here that go had work commitments and missed it.

the seminars are still good though

Quote Originally Posted by discoworld View Post
    Let us remember that Mark Walsh started this show from absolutely nothing, he was a normal guy like me and you. Could you have done it, and would you have even taken the risk. I say this not to defend the show - but as someone who came away thinking, maybe that was a wasted journey - but hey I couldn't have done better in a million years in the current climate when companies are cutting back in marketing.
    Out of all the people I know in the mobile DJ scene here and in the States I have the most respect for Mark, especially after the Promobile conference - nice to see some fresh seminars and not the usual "sell yourself" crap (which is just simple adapted business logic). He keeps himself to himself but is always one step ahead.

It is a good show and appealing to the (lets face it) much larger market of bedroom and commercial DJ's / other performers will keep the exhibitors happy.

I am working two nights that weekend so may not attend again next year
    Same situation this year. Booked for Plaza Monday. Hopefully there is something i can adapt for my show there?
    Last edited by yourdj; 05-10-2013 at 05:59 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

I've got to agree with both Darrens ( Solitaire and Discoworld ). It seems to me that us Mobile DJ's are becoming the poor relations of the family. An example of this being the dearth of Hard Drive Controllers on the market, coercing folk along the Laptop/Controller route. I saw many things at BPM this year which I could not envisage being part of 99% of mobile DJ rigs. Most of the products seemed to be aimed mainly at the install market. I fear the relevance of the show to the mobile DJ may diminish more and more.

Re timing, Mid September suits me far better than early October.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Really speaking, any weekend ought to be inconvenient for a mobile DJ as we should beout eearning.

This year (and now next year) is the St Leger race festival here so we are extremely busy. The October dates as was, we are full on this year so that would be out too.

I'm fortunate to be able to take a day's leave from work on the Monday so in that respect, extending BPM into the Monday worked well for me.

You can't please sverybody.......

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    I've got to agree with both Darrens ( Solitaire and Discoworld ). It seems to me that us Mobile DJ's are becoming the poor relations of the family. An example of this being the dearth of Hard Drive Controllers on the market, coercing folk along the Laptop/Controller route. I saw many things at BPM this year which I could not envisage being part of 99% of mobile DJ rigs. Most of the products seemed to be aimed mainly at the install market. I fear the relevance of the show to the mobile DJ may diminish more and more.

Re timing, Mid September suits me far better than early October.
    I totally agree that our industry is changing and, to be fair, a number of DJs are adapting and evolving to meet the changes. It's apparent that less and less income is being made from solely DJing and businesses are seeing these changes and branching in to areas such as dancefloor hire, uplighting, photo and video booths, candy carts, postboxes, PA/AV hire, becoming agents, etc.

But this isn't a recent thing. When I started DJing the rock nights in 1994, it was a case of going to the club and pubs and playing my records. Boxes and boxes and boxes of vinyl. When I started doing mobile DJing in 1999, I was working 5 or 6 nights a week - every week, and 7 nights over the Christmas season. Karaoke was a big thing and our karaoke service was always in demand. Things are very different now. So, is it any wonder that BPM is also changing, evolving in to something different? I don't think so. I think it's perfect business sense. Our industry doesn't stand still so our "trade show" is not going to stand still either. It's not personal - it's just business!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!