Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Virtual DJ on "THE CLOUD" Wifi hotspots

Default Virtual DJ on "THE CLOUD" Wifi hotspots

hi guys,

interesting one last night.

My venue had free WiFi provided by the cloud, and i could navigate to webpages alright, however Virtual DJ was unable to connect to the internet - any ideas ?

anyone ever come across this ?

It could be due to restricted access over a public network. I'd be very very dubious of sending my personal login details over a public network.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Why would you want VDJ to be connected to the net out of interest?
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    Why would you want VDJ to be connected to the net out of interest?
    Cos if you have an account (about £10 a month) you have access to millions of tracks. They show up in your searches with a globe icon next to them.
    Dazzy D

Born to make you party!

I'm not 100% certain Neil, but if you haven't got a particular track. Doesn't VDJ connect to the net and find it for you with an option to download it? I always disconnect the venues Wi-Fi before I fire up VDJ. So as I say I'm not 100% certain that's the case

Edit: Oops Dazzy beat me to it
    Last edited by STEVE HANLEY; 14-10-2013 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Must've posted the same time as Darren

www.accessallareasdisco.co.uk

Proud members of the NADJ

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    Cos if you have an account (about £10 a month) you have access to millions of tracks. They show up in your searches with a globe icon next to them.
    This premium membership has been discussed on here before and i'm sure the result was that it was only to be used in the US as it's not legal over here... The idea is that if you don't have a song, you can stream it over the internet form the Virtual DJ servers - You're not allowed to use YouTube and I can't see how this differs.
    Scott.

SC Events | Facebook

Professional Conference & AV Services, Corporate Entertainment, Equipment Hire and DJs

Quote Originally Posted by SC Events View Post
    This premium membership has been discussed on here before and i'm sure the result was that it was only to be used in the US as it's not legal over here... The idea is that if you don't have a song, you can stream it over the internet form the Virtual DJ servers - You're not allowed to use YouTube and I can't see how this differs.
    You're not allowed to use YouTube in any commercial environment. VDJ is different as the very service is intended for the working DJ. I do know that the service was originally only licensed for US and Canada use (and the Video Subscription still is) but I've got a feeling that Atomix might have licensed the service for use in other countries as well. As I'm not 100% certain of this, I've raised a ticket with the company for clarification. Once I hear back, I'll post the reply up here.
    Dazzy D

Born to make you party!

I got a reply back from VDJ regarding the Content Unlimited service (previously NetSearch):

My query:

Hi. I am hoping you can advise me if the tracks in the ContentUnlimited library are fully licensed for DJ use in the UK? I've noticed the mention of US/CA but no UK. I may be interested in buying a subscription but only if I can use it in my DJ role. If it's not licensed for use here in the UK then it's a no-go for me.

Thanks

Darren
    And the reply:

Hi,

Content unlimited has license for public broadcast. You still need to follow your local DJ rules to perform. The music on Content Unlimited pay royalties to the artist and labels.

http://www.grooveshark.com/terms

VirtualDJ Support Team
    I'm assuming by "local" rules they are meaning things like PPL/MCPS, ProDub, etc. The link to the GrooveShark T&Cs show it's a "worldwide" service and they are very big on preventing copyright infringement so, as GrooveShark powers the VDJ Content Unlimited service, I'd say it was now legal for us to us here in the UK.

The exception is the Content Unlimited Video subscription which clearly states it's only licensed for use in the US and Canada.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention that another new feature of Content Unlimited (compared to NetSearch) is that you can now cache/download tracks from their library to play offline. I'm sure this wasn't available before. The tracks are DRM protected and only play in VDJ - you can't download them to play in Traktor, for example. This could be Atomix's way of getting round copyright issues. The tracks are licensed solely for use with VDJ.
    Last edited by DazzyD; 15-10-2013 at 08:13 PM.
    Dazzy D

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by STEVE HANLEY View Post
    Edit: Oops Dazzy beat me to it
    Wake up Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SC Events View Post
    It would be worth asking PRS about it. Looks like an interesting service especially when the internet gets better and is available anywhere.
    Also the company that make it as PRS may brush over it as its not in their interests to have services like that.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/