Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feedback ?

Question Feedback ?

Bought a wirelsss mic a few weeks back and when trying them out, they are causing a loud howl of feedback from the speakers - has anyone else had the same happen to them? How do you fix it please?

Are you connecting the receiver to your mixer with a Jack plug or balanced XLR connector? I find that Jack plugs require more gain to be used to get the same signal as you would using an XLR connector at a lower gain. A common cause of feedback is having the gain too high.

Also, I find reducing reverb/echo also helps to reduce the effects of feedback. Using your EQ to dampen the higher frequencies can also help.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Jack plugs make no difference if they are TRS.

If you are getting loads of feedback try putting the gain on the receiver lower and bump it up on the desk. However if you're using mics, it's a good idea to use graphic/parametric equalisers to ring out the problem frequencies and room nodes.

Quote Originally Posted by DJStevie View Post
    Bought a wirelsss mic a few weeks back and when trying them out, they are causing a loud howl of feedback from the speakers - has anyone else had the same happen to them? How do you fix it please?
    What model / brand have you bought? It helps to know about the adjustment options?

Quote Originally Posted by paulg View Post
    What model / brand have you bought? It helps to know about the adjustment options?
    The mixer is Numark CD Mix MP3, the wireless mic is a Trantec S4.4 and if it's relevant, the speakers are RCF ART 712-A's.

About once a month, I do outdoor events, where, in between the music, the mic is handed over to the compere, who is walking all over the place, including in front of the speakers.

I am desperate to fix this feedback/howl, so any help is really appreciated.

About once a month, I do outdoor events, where, in between the music, the mic is handed over to the compere, who is walking all over the place, including in front of the speakers.

Walking in front of any speaker with a mic is just asking for feedback. As this is an outdoor event my guess is that they are cranked up quite high to get the coverage and the compare is much too close to them, particularly if the horns are around the same height as his head.

If you can get additional speakers try spacing them out more and running them at a lower level to cover the same area but avoiding the hot spots.

You can also buy a device called a Feedback Eliminator such as this one http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/FBQ1000.aspx which will sense the onset of feedback and apply a sharp notch filter to suppress the frequency that is feeding back.

, the mic is handed over to the compere, who is walking all over the place, including in front of the speakers.

I am desperate to fix this feedback/howl, so any help is really appreciated.
    I'm tempted to suggest tasering the swine, but that would be naughty.

Get the cabs as high as you safely can. The further you get the HF units above head height, the better.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Many thanks - am trying to keep the speakers at the same height and to not have to buy any more speakers, so may go for the suggested feedback eliminator. Has anyone here used one before? Or, is it better to go for an equalizer to somehow get rid of the howl?
    Last edited by DJStevie; 21-11-2013 at 10:14 PM.

I have used the Behringer Shark feedback destroyers, and they work really well. But your problem, as suggested by SamV, may be gain related.

I had a Numark cd mix as a backup system once, and I found the mic preamp on them to be terrible, so that may be part of your problem also.

Try adjusting the master output level so that it is set to about 25% below max, then you shouldn't need to turn the mic input up too high. This will greatly help reduce feedback. If this fails then you need an eq or a feedback destroyer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]www.super-sonic.eu

Quote Originally Posted by SamV View Post
    Jack plugs make no difference if they are TRS.

If you are getting loads of feedback try putting the gain on the receiver lower and bump it up on the desk. However if you're using mics, it's a good idea to use graphic/parametric equalisers to ring out the problem frequencies and room nodes.
    I'm thinking that instead of paying for a feedback destroyer, that I buy an equalizer - would they both get rid of the feedback howl equally well, or would one of them be better at it?