Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Starcloth and Deckstand for under £80??

Default A Starcloth and Deckstand for under £80??

I needed a decent looking small deckstand for a few Christmas parties in restaurants and the like. Not worth the expense of buying one so I thought how hard can it be. Well, quite hard actually but a couple of days later I'd made one myself and I'm pleased with it. I can see why the professionally made ones cost as much as they do.

Basically it is about half the size of a Deckstand V2 and fits my playout box exactly. It's made with 20mm square section with special hinges to aid folding. Pictures attached.

Cost: £28 for steel and end caps, £18 for velcro, £19.00 for wool serge cloth, £4.00 for white LED's, 50p for wing nuts, £5.00 for odds and sods, controller and wires salvaged from an old 2x1m LED tablecloth. Borrowed a sewing machine........and one self learning crash course in sewing and lots of swearing and bloodied fingers later and I have a nice looking deckstand. It all folds up into a very compact package for transport with just the shelf and top centre bar needing to be removed to fold it up.

Name:  stand cloth.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  57.8 KBName:  stand frame.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  66.4 KB

Pretty damn cool ... Job done and well done you

Looks great ... when can I have one lol
    *** Genie Discs Entertainments ***

Professional Sound & Lighting, PAT Compliant, DJ Guard PLI Insurance and PRS/MCPS ProDub License.

I too would be genuinely interested in something like this. Ideal if you are providing background or ceremony music and need something more discreet. Good work sir.

Generally I loathe home made stuff as it looks just that, but that is incredibly good.

Can you post pictures of it folded?

Wow! That is excellent. Wish I had the ability to knock something like that up myself. Job well done mate

www.accessallareasdisco.co.uk

Proud members of the NADJ

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Events Ltd View Post
    Generally I loathe home made stuff as it looks just that, but that is incredibly good.

Can you post pictures of it folded?
    Name:  stand folded.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  59.0 KB

Here you go. Folds are left slightly open so you can see how it goes together. It's 4.5 inches thick when folded excluding the shelf. It's more difficult than you might think to make the vertical folds work with the folding top sections. It perplexed me for hours.

You're right about the homemade aspect. If that was ever going to be at all obvious, I wouldn't have bothered - might as well have used black painted plywood and just made a basic table surround. Ideally, I'd have powder coated the frame rather than undercoat and spray finish it but it isn't on display so it doesn't matter too much. The cloth covers the frame completely and has a professional finish (even though I say so myself). Even the LED's are fastened with the correct surrounds. (see attached)

As I said though, this is for six consecutive Christmas disco's in one place where space is at a premium. If I'd needed it for much more than that, I'd have bought something. It'll probably come in handy after that though.

Name:  cloth.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  47.8 KB

Looks great, would be interested in one if you fancy making to order?
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

I've got a smaller version of the Deckstand 2 and your creation looks very similar and very professional. I wish I was this clever
    Ian
    www.limelightandrhythmdisco.co.uk
    Covering Herts, Beds, Bucks, Essex, Middlesex, & NW London ... but have been known to travel further afield. PLI & PAT - member of MDA.

Excellent. Looks very similar to my DSB Micro. Nice job.

Remember though guys ... we would all like one to be made lol but for him to do that would cost more than the £80 as time - effort - materials etc. all add up, so that £80 would probably turn into £400 / £500

Just my thought...

My Paladin DJ Case Booth cost me £800 and I got to see Andy Dykes make the serge wool star cloth LEDs etc. ... took some time and patience.
    *** Genie Discs Entertainments ***

Professional Sound & Lighting, PAT Compliant, DJ Guard PLI Insurance and PRS/MCPS ProDub License.