Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When Wedding Disco's Should Finish Early

Default When Wedding Disco's Should Finish Early

Has anyone on here worked at a Wedding where the finish time was 12:30 and everyone had pretty much left at around 11:45 and there was only a handful of people left, That was the wedding I did last night.
    Paul Palmer Entertainments, Contact us on [email protected]

I've worked events when the finish time was 1am and most people had left by ten (after the buffet, or course!) and only die-hard partygoers were left. Do I think they should have finished early? No. The people that are left still want to enjoy themselves and that's what I'm paid to do! In fact, I'm only ready to pack down when the agreed finishing time has been reached or the paying client has told me to call it a night. I've even played to just the staff before on occasion where everyone has gone early just because I don't like stopping before my finish time!

I've just read that back and it's sounds like I clear the room on a regular basis!! I can't stress enough that this is far from being the case! The vast majority of my shows finish about 15 mins after the agreed time (I'm generous like that!) with lots of people still dancing and often shouting for even more!! It's just I've been in the business a long time so I've experienced an awful lot of outcomes!!

Phew! Think I got away with that!!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

The mid-week ones frequently finish early. I usually say to the B+G that I'm happy to carry on but will finish early and give them some money back if they like.

Frequent room clearer here

On a serious note it happens now and again and I'd imagine it happens to all of us. Weddings are bloody long days for everyone involved. Throw in alcohol, faily drama, oldies, kids and the rest and I'm surprised most of them even last until 12. You notice a marked difference in the atmosphere and energy when doing weddings where they've got married abroad and it's only the reception compared to one where the bridal party have been up from 7am and the guests have been out from noon.

Until I'm told to wrap it up by the client (I think the earliest has been about 15-20 minutes before my scheduled finish time and at that point the venues event co-ordinator had made it clear she wanted everything wrapped up sharp as was demonstrated by her furious removal of linens, chairs and tables!!!) I'll keep playing. I don't subscribe to the theory that you need the floor rammed all night right till the death to have done a good job. Some of the best feedback I've had has come from weddings where it's finished with a dozen or so of the close friends and family lounging around having a chat whilst I play some rat pack stuff at barely audible volume.

In recent weeks I've actually talked clients out of later finishes. One was a 1am Sunday in a secluded venue up north and I pointed out that if people have work the next day, he might be lucky to have a good throng by midnight never mind 1.

Another wanted a 3am finish. It's a place in the City Centre so has a nightclub licence. Would have rocked in at the best price I'd pulled for an evening wedding but I explained to her that just because it can finish at 3, doesn't mean it will or even should.

Both have agreed to earlier finish times with the option to extend closer to the time if they wish so it's win win.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Palmer Ents View Post
    Has anyone on here worked at a Wedding where the finish time was 12:30 and everyone had pretty much left at around 11:45 and there was only a handful of people left, That was the wedding I did last night.

In this case I would normally speak to the b&g and explain a good few are starting to leave, it would be better to finish on a high right now that just a damp squid with say 6 people later. Most brides are understanding and will do this.

Quote Originally Posted by soundmaster mobile disco View Post
    In this case I would normally speak to the b&g and explain a good few are starting to leave, it would be better to finish on a high right now that just a damp squid with say 6 people later. Most brides are understanding and will do this.
    That'll be a Squib
    but yep you're dead right

I've done the same thing on a number of occasions but to be honest it's not that often that it happens where the bookings finish early.
    I wouldn't offer a refund though unless it was down to me that it had to finish early.

Always better to finish on a high with everyone wanting more. Occasionally get the early leavers mainly at Christmas parties though.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

One of the first weddings I did had a band starting at 10:30 and then me scheduled for a midnight start and a 4am finish!! Needless to say, by 1:30am I was playing to a handful of stragglers and ended up playing mostly alternative (coldplay, killers, etc) to a handful of people.

The B&G went to bed at 1:00 and left their guests to it!

Luckily most of my customers since then have been more pragmatic about the finish times and have either made sensible arrangements from the start, or concessions on the night.

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Palmer Ents View Post
    Has anyone on here worked at a Wedding where the finish time was 12:30 and everyone had pretty much left at around 11:45
    Is the Pope Catholic? Do bears live in the woods?

Once upon a time, I had a residency which did loads of weddings. I'd often be in around 6.30, especially if I'd set the kit up early for easiness. Standard finish time was 1 a.m. and around 7.30 I'd get the question " can you play something to fill the floor? " It was a delicate line to walk, as I had to try to get them past midnight, and many of them had been up and about very early in the morning. If I went into full party mode too early, I could be on my own before eleven!

Quote Originally Posted by musicology View Post
    That'll be a Squib
    but yep you're dead right
    Have you ever seen a dry squid? ( Tee hee. No smileys, on tablet. Sits back and waits for the inevitable response )
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk