Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Christmas Parties - What will be your first song?

Default Christmas Parties - What will be your first song?

Hi all,

This weekend sees me do my first 2 Christmas parties and I am sure many of you are doing the same. Maybe some of you have started already?
    If you do the same format as I do then it's usually background music during the meal and then introductions, announcements and then first song and hopefully packed dance floor.

I'm wondering what track will kick it off this year. In the past it's been Black Eyed Peas, Rihanna, Maroon 5. They've all done the job and got people dancing instantly.
    I know I can probably rely on them so they are possibles. It may be something that someone requests in advance?
    I'm thinking this year it could possibly be Robin Thicke or Robbie Williams?

Once you get a couple of parties out of the way you kind of get in to a routine (don't you?) and it's easy from then on.

Any ideas of what you're going to do or are you just going to play it by ear on the night?

I'm a traditionalist!! I usually kick off the dancing part with Mariah Carey - All I Want For Christmas. The intro is instantly recognisable and it's never failed to get the desired response yet! And they are "Christmas" parties, after all, so it's a great track to kick in the Christmas mood!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    I'm a traditionalist!! I usually kick off the dancing part with Mariah Carey - All I Want For Christmas.
    And I save it for the big finale. Takes all kinds.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    And I bung it in ariund half way through as there's normallly a lull somewhere that needs a bit of a lifter.

I know it's a "Christmas Party after all" but the background music during the meal contains Christmas tunes (bar the dance floor fillers) and chilled out, down tempo stuff.
    I play the Christmas biggies in the last hour and generally finish off with either Mariah Carey or Shakin' Stevens.

I usually finish with Slade - Merry Christmas Everybody. It's just the way I've always done things as it worked the first time around and it just keeps on working!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

I'm a traditionalist!! I usually kick off the dancing part with Mariah Carey - All I Want For Christmas. The intro is instantly recognisable and it's never failed to get the desired response yet! And they are "Christmas" parties, after all, so it's a great track to kick in the Christmas mood!
    I like the idea but do you ever find some half wit will come up and say 'its not going to be Christmas songs all night is it mate?'
    long live lightboxes..........lots of em!!!

I agree, it always works! And because it has a reasonably long intro, it gives people a chance to persuade their friends up to the dance floor before the first beat kicks in.

I play it twice If you use it early doors, I find I usually won't get to the last song without at least a couple of requests to play it again