Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christmas party time......Background music

Default Christmas party time......Background music

Well its that time of year again so firstly Happy Crimbo everyone.

My Christmas parties started last weekend and I have a fair few booked in at my regular hotel, the thing is that for about 2 - 3 hours it is just background music.
    This weekend I did Grandmaster Christmas followed by Grandmaster Motown party but I am not happy with it as the Grandmaster mixes have some good tracks but they have a lot of, lets say "Not so good" tracks.

As I dont get chance to get around and see what other jocks are doing, just looking for advice on what other DJ's do regarding 2 - 3 hours of background music at this time of year. I know there are the Christmas Albums etc. but do you really have 3 hours of non stop christmas music?

Thanks
    Dave
    www.bossmankaraokedisco.co.uk & www.coventry-weddingdj.co.uk
    BOSSMAN KARAOKE DISCO inc. COVENTRY WEDDING DJ

Covering Coventry, West Midlands & Warwickshire

Background music is just as important as the main music at any function and helps to set the mood for the entire evening
    Taking the lazy way out playing a few compilations really does not give a very good impression as some of the audience will have the same compilations at home and it really send out the I can't really be bothered vibe
    As a last resort if you must do compilation albums put them on random play

The far better solution is to build a couple of playlists including Christmas songs with other popular background stuff nestled in between gives the impression that some thought has gone into the process

Include stuff which isn't popular main stream but well known enough for people to take notice and think.
    www.mobiledjcumbria.co.uk

N.A.D.J Member

North East & Cumbria branch Founder member

Quote Originally Posted by deltic View Post
    Background music is just as important as the main music at any function and helps to set the mood for the entire evening
    That is true. You must show you've put thought into it.

As a last resort if you must do compilation albums put them on random play
    In the old days of CDs, we used to program the tracks we wanted from compilations. Not ideal, but good enough.
    The far better solution is to build a couple of playlists including Christmas songs with other popular background stuff nestled in between gives the impression that some thought has gone into the process
    Include stuff which isn't popular main stream but well known enough for people to take notice and think.
    In the digital age it's easy to put together a playlist or two with everything you want on it. As Andy says, stick in a few of the ones that don't get played to death.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I have a playlist set, all Christmas songs. It's only played at a low volume, which is the whole point in background music, so people can talk over it easily enough. It's just creating a nice atmosphere for people to enjoy their meal, that's all

I avoid pop stuff and play a lot of the american old christmas tunes together with all the phil spector christmas album tracks.

Default Xmas background music

Quote Originally Posted by musicology View Post
    I avoid pop stuff and play a lot of the american old christmas tunes together with all the phil spector christmas album tracks.
    I usually select some low key songs in with chilled xmas song on virtual dj and then automix
    The good thing is that virtual remembers you play history..

Totally agree with all the comments about putting time and effort in and I have every intention of compiling a couple of playlists for the rest of the parties at this venue.

Was just trying to gauge what other jocks have playing while meals are served, thanks for all the help and tips, hope you all have a good Christmas
    www.bossmankaraokedisco.co.uk & www.coventry-weddingdj.co.uk
    BOSSMAN KARAOKE DISCO inc. COVENTRY WEDDING DJ

Covering Coventry, West Midlands & Warwickshire

Leaves me out this year as I have not got any Christmas parties with a sit down meal. No corporate at all this year as most use hotels now where there is a res DJ/agency. Still busy with 4 or 5 each week but they vary from 1 wedding to a 70th and pub discos to children's birthday party. Oh I have a Tesco children's Christmas party next week.
    Makes a change not having to play background over and over for dinners.

I've got the NOW XMAS 3CD set ... made a playlist with all those tracks on it along with some other favorites going from slow to the more lively ones, if the meal is ahead of time or people are getting warmed up quicker I skip the boring ones.

Don't think there is much point with any more effort than that for background music.
    I've played in a couple of venues where I've gone off to have a chat with DJ's in the other rooms and 3/4 of them do the same sort of thing.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Default Background music

Hi I totally agree, background music during a Christmas party is important as you normally have a captive audience who are sitting there eating. They expect you to set the scene for the whole night. Personally I tend to make a play list when everyone is in so I can choose the correct tracks and then auto playing them as there is nothing worse than the dj sitting there watching the guests eat. About 30 mins before the disco starts proper I tend to throw in some really well known theme tunes, it's unbelievable how this breaks the ice, everyone sings along and tries to guess the show and it really gets the night started you also get loads of audience participation, this of course only works if you don't have a room full of 90 year old nuns so you do have to judge the atmosphere. Going back to playing a play list on auto play be careful to select the tracks appropriately and not just click on a folder marked christmas as I did when I first went 100% digital. I hit play and retired to the bar while the local W.I ate dinner, about 30 mins later the organiser burst in screaming and shouting. In the folder I had selected was a copy of Kevin bloody Wilson and hey Santa Claus you . Lots of humble pie that year!!!
    Last edited by DazzyD; 06-12-2013 at 04:35 PM.