Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wedding DJ attire...Sign of the times??

Default Wedding DJ attire...Sign of the times??

Following on slightly from a post Chris Dye (PP Entertainments ) stuck on the Facebook page of this here very forum. I thought I'd ask peoples thoughts on how we as DJ's dress at weddings.

Usually at pre-meets with B&G's I usually tell them. On the night I'll be wearing black dress trousers and a white collared shirt and black tie ( I find suited and booted too stuffy when DJing. Especially in the summer) If a tux and dickie bow is required. I think I'd be up the proverbial.

Which brings me on to the wedding I did on Saturday. The B&G booked me over 12 months ago and were heavily into their House /Trance music. At the pre-meet I told them I'd be wearing as above. To which the bride replied "You're kidding me right? I don't think so. Just turn up in whatever you want. It's not that kind of wedding. I shudder at the thought of my DJ dressed like that"

Just wore black trousers and black open necked shirt. Had a superb night with great feedback. I realise the venue(s) dictate sometimes what a dj should wear, but give me this kind of wedding any day of the week. So good people. What are your thoughts? Do you feel that today's young couples getting married want to move away from the stuffy wedding DJ (Mis)conception?

www.accessallareasdisco.co.uk

Proud members of the NADJ

I wear a 60's styled suit in blue and a thin tie. Looks smart enough for any wedding but also cool enough to not be seen as stuffy. Most of the weddings I did last year have 'hipsters' in attendance, last season they mainly sported a deconstructed tweedy look.

I used to always go in a nice suit and tie. The last year or two I decided to ditch the suit jacket. Black trousers, black shirt, and tie these days. I still look smart enough, but I feel more relaxed and comfortable than I did when wore a suit. I've even seen me ditch the tie half way through the night (especially in the summer).

When I have my pre-wedding meetings I wear a long sleeved shirt and smart jeans. I don't generally go suited and booted at weddings anymore. Like you said, it does get a bit stuffy, even in the winter. If I do, the suit jacket generally comes off after an hour or so. Sometimes I will ask what the colour scheme is and if I feel like it, I will match my tie to it but I don't often wear ties that much.

It's funny you mention the Bride & Grooms comments. I have been told so many times "Wear whatever you like" and "Wear what you feel comfortable with".
    It might not matter to many customers and maybe some DJ's don't think too much about it either but to me, it does matter. I am a firm believer in first impressions because they DO count. I have 2 full sleeves of tattoos on my arms (obviously) and I am concious of the fact that they could give the wrong impression. The Bride & Groom may not be bothered but their guests don't know do they? They won't know that you've been told to "Wear what you like" etc.

Saying that, neither will the venue. If you're going to a venue you've not visited before, what impression does it give?

I had 2 weddings this summer where the customers more or less insisted that I dressed how I did and that was very casual.
    Both were at the same venue (my out of town residency) and both customers were from London and wanted an Alternative vibe. One of the Grooms turned up late to a meeting and he was still in his builders gear. He was covered in tattoos and I really liked them. I had a Fred Perry on and a Harrington jacket. I mentioned that I had ink too and he wanted to see it. I said "Don't worry, I'll be covered up on the night because of first impressions etc etc" and his and his Brides words were "Actually we think it would be pretty cool if you had your ink on show, it looks cool". I must admit, I did feel a bit nervous about it at first but they and their guests were absolutely fine.

It was the same with the other one too and one of their comments was pretty much the same as Steve's. I remember them saying something along the lines of "We don't want someone dressed up in dickie bow tie looking like a penguin or a bouncer".

At the end of the day, I guess it depends on the situation, the event, the venue and what the customer wants and is happy with (in no particular order).

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    I wear a 60's styled suit in blue and a thin tie. Looks smart enough for any wedding but also cool enough to not be seen as stuffy. Most of the weddings I did last year have 'hipsters' in attendance, last season they mainly sported a deconstructed tweedy look.
    Agreed. If I do wear a suit I usually wear my Ben Sherman suit with a Fred Perry underneath. I don't mind keeping it on all night as it's pretty light. I wear my Ox Blood DM's too.

I still ask and most want smart/casual these days.

I've actually worn black jeans and shirt for the last couple of weddings.

I had a complaint last week that the DJ didn't look like a DJ as he wore a white shirt, black trousers and even a tie!!

Firm believer in first impressions, always wear Black trousers, Black shirt and black tie with polished shoes. It's all a matter of standards

Dave
    www.bossmankaraokedisco.co.uk & www.coventry-weddingdj.co.uk
    BOSSMAN KARAOKE DISCO inc. COVENTRY WEDDING DJ

Covering Coventry, West Midlands & Warwickshire

I've only ever had positive comments about my attire (and probably on I'd say 5 occasions) , and I am always, unless it's a teen party/school disco, in a black/grey/brown suit and white shirt, with a range of ties to match event colours (tie is optional, probably tieless 70% of time). I also wear a jacket and trousers with shirt for customer meets.

Default Duchamp

Duchamp all the way for me....
    I have 4 matching shirts and 4 matching trousers so I always have set for each gig.
    They are a bit modern and funky... but that is my style.
    I wore one of the shirts on holiday last year.... so here is a photo of one.

Lee
    Lee Live: Wedding DJ
    http://www.djLeeLive.com/

Right from the start of doing it properly (2006) I've only ever worn trousers (dark grey first now Black) a Black shirt with the Spirits High logo on and black shoes.

No suit jackets, waistcoats or ties here! Once I've been asked to wear "Black tie" and that was a NYE function wear all the guests were in "Black Tie" too.

No complaints from any of my clients. So that's the way it's staying! As Lee's started the photo game here's one of me with a recent B&G

Name:  mark anna me shirt pic.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  39.6 KB
    Last edited by Spirits High; 09-12-2013 at 08:30 PM.
    Professional DJ & Event services inc Led & Starlight dancefloors, Venue uplighting

Derbyshire Wedding DJ - Wedding Uplighting, Dancefloors and Professional Wedding DJs