Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you listen to your music on at home?

Default What do you listen to your music on at home?

I'm sure we all have a strong interest in music here, so I'm assuming you all listen to music a lot in your spare time!

I'm having difficulty finding a digital music system that suits my needs, as in something that can either play from external USB, internal storage, or ideally stream over the network from a NAS. I'd consider a portable MP3 player but they don't tend to have a huge amount of storage. I don't really want to use an actual 'computer' either, just to play music. Or have the TV switched on.

So what do you all use to play music through your hifi?

I bluetoothe my phone or ipad to the sound bar under the TV!

If you have apple devices then Apple TV will plug into your Home HI FI Digitally.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerFunk View Post
    so I'm assuming you all listen to music a lot in your spare time!
    Quite the opposite in fact. Apart from listening to/reviewing music for work purposes (which I use the PC to do) I almost never listen to music in my free time. I don't even own a hifi.

I guess I'm probably in the minority amongst a bunch of DJs.

House music all the way for me. Usually The Essential Mix. Also numerous dj mixes on mixcloud/soundcloud etc. Usually streamed through my lappy

www.accessallareasdisco.co.uk

Proud members of the NADJ

Quote Originally Posted by DJColsie View Post
    I bluetoothe my phone or ipad to the sound bar under the TV!
    That sounds interesting, I assume the TV doesn't have to be switched on and the bar is powered separately? Although I'd much rather have a dedicated music device going through the hifi for a decent sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian A Crossland View Post
    If you have apple devices then Apple TV will plug into your Home HI FI Digitally.
    Oh I forgot to mention I don't like Itunes, so no Apple for me. Pity, because they often have good solutions, with cross-compatibility between their products.

Default Everything

My entire DJ collection on random on my office laptop connected via an Echo DJ soundcard to some Bose "companion 3" speakers and also sent wirelessly to sets of wireless JBL Control 2.4g speakers in the kitchen and also in the front room.

Music is playing for just 2 or 3 days a week from 9am til 7pm..... the other days I enjoy the silence.

I like listening to all styles so occasionally a song will prɪk* my ears and I will then investigate more songs by the same artiste..... just discovered Ozomatli by hearing "Cut Chemist Suite" by then in this way.

*(phonic spelling as the work is censored)
    Last edited by leelive; 19-12-2013 at 12:23 PM.
    Lee Live: Wedding DJ
    http://www.djLeeLive.com/

That sounds interesting, I assume the TV doesn't have to be switched on and the bar is powered separately? Although I'd much rather have a dedicated music device going through the hifi for a decent sound.
    I have a dedicated separates system too, which sounds awesome, but that is in the dining room and more often than not I am laying on the sofa. Yep the sound bar is powered separately from the TV. I have always been a bit of an audiophile but the girlfriend got me the soundbar for Christmas last year. It is made by LG with a subwoofer and sounds mighty good given the physical limitations.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 19-12-2013 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Fixed quote.

Oh I forgot to mention I don't like Itunes, so no Apple for me. Pity, because they often have good solutions, with cross-compatibility between their products.
    Technically, there is another option. My Microsoft Surface tablet runs ( a version of ) Media Monkey no problem, and has other programmes installed, or available. I think that M$ completely ed this up, if I'm honest, because something running a full version of Windows would have been a winner. As it is, mine won't download from Amazon of all places!!!!!

What do I use? The PCs, and a twenty quid powered 2.1 rig. If I want a tad more, I lash the PC into the HiFi. Long cable.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Quite the opposite in fact. Apart from listening to/reviewing music for work purposes (which I use the PC to do) I almost never listen to music in my free time. I don't even own a hifi.

I guess I'm probably in the minority amongst a bunch of DJs.
    No, me too. I sometimes listen in the car, but mainly listen to TalkSport.