Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: help with backing music

Default help with backing music

Hello guys

got a gig tonight its a teachers Christmas dinner dance party. I did the same do last year and enjoyed it so they want me back again this year.

last year the organiser kept saying play easy listening music, ''etta jams - at last'' stuff like that but could only think of 30 mins worth, it needs to last throughout the meal then il be fine with the dancing music. but could someone point me in the right direction for a easy listening set top 10 or something like the commodores - three times a lady id rather listen to that that boring classical Christmas hits! I could just through in a few of them hear and there.

thanks
    chris

Here's my 2 bob (being that I am a teacher) - is it just the organiser asking for "easy listening"? Or did anyone else complain / mention it last year?

Any teachers night I've been to has been absolutely no different to any other type of workplace Christmas night out i.e. a cheesy drunken rammy from the get go so why this person is so determined to have bring down stuff like Etta James during the meal is baffling - like any other Christmas do, you want your background music to start ramping up the atmosphere and putting them in the mood.

Off the record, this person doesn't happen to be from middle management do they?

this is it.....im unsure what to do! nobody complained just the organizer and she did look like she was management or something...

that's what I mean I understand totally about playing uping the atmosphere with the backing music but I think what im gonna do is play Christmas party music for arrival I ge the start and main meal on easy listening then dessert and coffee il start playing abit more uplifting music. I don't just wanna say ''NO!'' hahaso I think doing it that way hopefully finishing the meal at 9:00 - 9:30 I will then go straight into party music.

thanks for your reply

I play a mixture of Christmas and other 'listening' (eg non dancing) tunes. I tend to find people get bored with all Christmasy stuff, even though it's only background.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Events Ltd View Post
    I play a mixture of Christmas and other 'listening' (eg non dancing) tunes. I tend to find people get bored with all Christmasy stuff, even though it's only background.
    Agreed.

What I tend to do is compliment the "swingy" Christmas tracks with other non Christmas, swing tracks, the 70's Christmas tracks with other backgroundy Christmas tracks etc. I'm a stickler for a faded genre experience...

Got to agree with the other guys here, I mean 'At Last' is a great tune but it's no way near upbeat.

I often play low-mid tempo soul and swing early on at weddings, such as some of these:

Dusty Springfield - Son of A Preacher Man
    Mindy Carson - Memories Are Made Of This
    Bobby Darin - Beyond The Sea
    Jimmy Ruffin - What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted
    Stevie Wonder - For Once In My Life
    Al Green - Here I Am (Come And Take Me)
    Bill Withers - Everybody's Talkin'
    Eddie Floyd - Knock On Wood
    Clarence 'Frogman' Henry - (I Don't Know Why) But I Do
    Aretha Franklin - I Say A Little Prayer

But, to be honest, I don't see why you can't play predominantly Christmas songs. Perhaps not the usual tracks like Slade, Wizzard etc (save them for later), but some of the lesser heard ones.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerFunk View Post
    Got to agree with the other guys here, I mean 'At Last' is a great tune but it's no way near upbeat.

I often play low-mid tempo soul and swing early on at weddings, such as some of these:

Dusty Springfield - Son of A Preacher Man
    Mindy Carson - Memories Are Made Of This
    Bobby Darin - Beyond The Sea
    Jimmy Ruffin - What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted
    Stevie Wonder - For Once In My Life
    Al Green - Here I Am (Come And Take Me)
    Bill Withers - Everybody's Talkin'
    Eddie Floyd - Knock On Wood
    Clarence 'Frogman' Henry - (I Don't Know Why) But I Do
    Aretha Franklin - I Say A Little Prayer

But, to be honest, I don't see why you can't play predominantly Christmas songs. Perhaps not the usual tracks like Slade, Wizzard etc (save them for later), but some of the lesser heard ones.
    This

Sounds like some middle management waster trying to create a solution to a problem that doesn't exist - which is generally what they do anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    This

Sounds like some middle management waster trying to create a solution to a problem that doesn't exist - which is generally what they do anyway.
    Yeah I think you're right, the type who makes sweeping changes one year, and changes everything back to how it was the year after. They need to look like they're doing something to justify their position!

Anyway, I'd be prepared for either eventuality. Chances are with this type of thing, they forget all about it after a glass of wine or two